Keeping Up With The Joneses

Exactly why I will eventually leave Naim, downsize box numbers but likely or, at minimum, maintain quality.

1 Like

They still exist :joy: although seem to have loads of cash to spend these days. Iā€™ve only been in a hifi shop once in the last 20 years so I donā€™t count myself as one. Maybe an online hifi groupie :wink:

1 Like

I donā€™t have a mobile phone - I have a pocket computer: calculator, notepad, memo taker, diary (with event reminder), magnifier, torch, maps with GPS and personal location finder, compass, altimeter, language translator (multiple languages), cycling or walking route distance/elevation/speed tracker, portable music player capable of storing 100s of albums, book reader capable of storing dozens of books, remote control for my ā€˜properā€™ camera including showing viewfinder imageā€¦ Also various tools like sound level meter, light meter (both only approximate as uncalibrated), alarm clock, stopwatch, snapshot camera. If Iā€™m somewhere with wifi (I use PAYG normally without mobile data) I can access emails and browse the internet, access this forum, view satellite & aerial imagery, get news, get traffic and related information, get weather forecasts, view rain satellite tracking and nearby lightning, track aircraft flights, find a nearby restaurant, control my home music streamer, bank security device, etc etc.

Oh, it can also make phone calls. Very usefully that includes (when on wifi) free video calls worldwide - great for keeping in contact with friends and family in far-off places, and can send/receive short instant messages. But back to the thread theme, it is never the latest, changing only when cast-off from a son!

1 Like

yep Iā€™ve seen a few alright, exactly as you describe, more anorak than groupie I suspect

1 Like

That makes the Ā£1,000+ for a top range phone seem like excellent value for money. I have thought for a long time that the better smart phones are the most useful item that many of us own.

Untill the updates stop coming and apps start vanishing and your perfectly good hardware gets bricked because you canā€™t even realistically hack it with generic Android because you canā€™t find the drivers for the screen, home button, camera, wifi, bluetooth, audio etc. The iPod touch I used as my Naim remote was the same. Bricked by Apple.

Honestly half the phones on the market today have lower specs than my 7 year old one but this thing Iā€™m using is gradually getting bricked because the manufacturer decided ā€œtwo years till EOS is all youā€™re getting mate.ā€

Is it too much to ask to get a decade out of a phone?

And Iā€™ve never bought one new (the Joneses have nothing to fear!) So actually far better value for money!

1 Like

How long do apple keep updating older devices out of interest?

Apparently 7 years but they pulled the plug on my iPod touch after 4.

The Nait 50 is as good as they say.

1 Like

7 years is not bad. 10 would be better I guess

I guess it ā€œdependsā€. Switching out Chrome Bumper for Olive, for OC, for NC probably isnā€™t worth it. However, I swapped out my CDX2 for an HDX 15 years ago, not just for new, but for the inevitable switch to computerized/digitized sources. I recently switched that HDX for an NDX2 mainly for the changeover from mechanical systems (hard drives, optical drives, both of which had become fussy) to NAS storage and streaming.
I wonā€™t be swapping out my OC for NC, though. Iā€™m there now and Iā€™m staying there.

2 Likes

Appleā€™s support for their devices versus Android was a big reason I switched back after getting properly irritated by how quickly Android phones stopped being supported. Iā€™m on year three with my current iPhone and canā€™t find a good reason to upgrade it.

1 Like

If my name was Jonesā€¦ Itā€™s rather bemusing that people want to keep up with me - no, actually annoying. Why donā€™t they just do their own thing, like I try to do? I do something and everyone copies. Do something else and the same. Yes, I suppose it is flattering in a way, but the reason I bought that old banger is because I was sick of everyone getting the same car as me, now the road is full of old bangers! I need to move somewhere with no neighboursā€¦

1 Like

What a refreshing post! I suppose there is always something new and better, but itā€™s nice to know that Iā€™m not the only one who is pretty happy with my humble HiFi.

1 Like

Unless I moved and had a bigger room, I would get a 300DR and upgrade speakers to K3

But I arenā€™tā€¦so I isnā€™t

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.