Kef LS60

I am just wondering the new kef ls60 has 3amps (500 Watt + 100 + 100) per spesker, The kef ls50 wireless 2 has 2 amps (280Watt + 100Watt) per speaker.

When using separates, even good ones, the power is lot less. For example nap dr is just 80watts. Integrated version: supernait, also just 80watts. What am I missing?

The quality. Sound quality and watts have nothing in common.

1 Like

An exception please for the late Charlie Watts.

4 Likes

Of course, and WattsStax :musical_score:

1 Like

Kef are on a bit of a roll, there is a lot of tech that’s been put into these LS60s.

I’ve got the Ls50 metas and the Kc62 sub in one of my systems and they are very impressive.

The big watt numbers are dedicated to their sub bass areas, my KC62 had 2x500 w, one dedicated to each channel. This looks like a massive disparity to my SN3 (80w I think) but in practice it needs the power to generate the sub bass, so not really apples for apples.

Tend not to worry about the paper specs, too many experiences where the first 10w gave the best sound and with all the different type A / B / D and / G technologies the mileage varies even more.

Think they look an interesting prospect, what hifi have given them a rave online review, but little stock placed in that most of the time.

4 Likes

This is what I mean. I also have the metas and a r400b sub. My amp has 2x70 watts and the sub 2x250. The sub drivers in the ls60 also gets 2x 500 Watts. It seems like a big difference.

Check out the Kef white paper on the Kc62, it gives some answers to the differences.

Short answer is that it isn’t a problem.

The LS60 is an exciting soeaker…can wait to hear it…

Don’t get too caught up in the specs. It is not clear at all from the site whether the power rating is nominal or peak.

Even so, a lot of amps just crack out huge amounts of power without being able to handle tricky impedance dips and just use absolutely tiny transformers (even tiny linear supplies).

Now as for the handsome KEF LS60 and indeed any active speaker, the specs of the amp should almost be irrelevant to the customer. After all, the amps have been matched to the performance parameters of the speaker, and good or bad, you can’t change them anyway, so really, what does it matter? They could just as easily had drivers with huge efficiency and built in 5w power amps and it wouldn’t tell us anything useful.

They use different types of amplification across each of LF, MF and HF speakers mixing Class AB and Class D with a central processor (what Kef call their Music Integrity Engine) that coordinates the amplification and drivers from a timing perspective.
Class D amplifiers are able to deliver a higher output with less energy wasted as it’s on demand rather than stored and constantly available as with Class AB, so they’re taking advantage of each approach and combining them together with central processing control to create an equivalent greater “sum of parts” whilst still being compact and energy efficient.
Given the range of services and inputs for local connectivity I’m tempted for a lounge and multipurpose 2 channel + AV type setup.
If you could run it in a 5.1 type setup with LS50 or similar rears and a wireless sub I’d find that greatly appealing from a complexity reduction perspective.
I had looked at similar using my Linn Selekt DSM + Linn active speakers + Exakt links using Cat5 Ethernet, relatively the Kef system could prove more flexible and cost effective and let’s not forget, a lot of people want to combine good quality 2 channel with capable surround without requring an equipment rack and extensive cabling to drive it.
They look rather nice in Blue/Gold as well to my eye, certainly far more appealing aesthetically than any shade of Grey, ahem…

You struggle for years removing vibrations and microphonics ending up with a speaker having the core of electronics built into the cabinet with 4 subwoofers surrounding it. Maybe they DSP compensate for that too…

1 Like

Indeed. Merdian have ben doing this for decades in fact with combined DAC, amp, speakers. They simply don’t think isolation is a thing.

I’ve mentioned on a few post today though, different manufacturers, who all make excellent products, get there via very different engineering principles. The idea that there is one truth and audiophile gospel is (within the confines of theories that are not psuedoscience nonsense) a fool’s errand. Every manufacturer thinks other brands have focussed on the wrong things.

The LS 60 (and the LS 50 wireless for that matter) incorporate the streamer and preamp as well. If you want to reduce ‘box count’ you can’t get any lower than zero!

Most consumers don’t know what these things are nor care about them. You get to a point with most things where good is good enough and beyond that it becomes increasingly niche and with a tiny addressable market.
Sure you can split out everything and hang all the cabling in a specific way and split off your mains to isolate everything but there’s a case for a mid tier high performance, simple to live with setup that for many is quite appealing and doesn’t get in the way of everything else that demands your time and attention.
Most consumers with a modest budget would probably start by thinking, “They look nice, I bet they sound pretty decent to” and be happy enough with that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.