Kef Reference 3 + Uniti Nova

I recently pulled the trigger on the Kef Reference 3’s and they should be arriving sometime next week. Before this splurge, I recently upgraded from the Uniti Atom to the Uniti Nova with my Kef R3 bookshelves (not to be confused with the floorstanding Reference 3). I know that using the Nova to drive the Reference 3’s would be a great disservice to the speakers as the Nova’s 80 WPC stands on the lower spectrum of Kef’s recommended amplifier requirements of 50-300W. This is a stop gap solution as I plan to thoroughly audition amplifiers (hopefully in-home) before making another substantial purchase. I have read on many occasions that it is much more dangerous for a speaker to be underpowered instead of overpowered as it “may produce hard clipping (distortion) which ultimately causes the voice coil windings to overheat, resulting in a dead speaker.”

Finally, my question is: will using the Nova with the Reference 3 pose a non-negligible threat to the lifespan of the speakers?

Here are a few of the speakers specs:

Amplifier requirements 50-300W
Sensitivity (2.83V/ 1m) 87.5dB
Harmonic distortion
2nd & 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m) <0.5% 40Hz – 100kHz
<0.2% 200Hz – 10kHz
Maximum output
(peak sound pressure level at 1m with pink noise) 113.5 dB
Impedance 8Ω (min. 3.2Ω)
1 Like

No, not unless you open volume to ridiculous levels and ignore distortion.

And welcome to the forum, enjoy

2 Likes

It looks fairly comfortable , but with those speakers I fear you won’t get the best with a Nova.

I have a Nova so am not casting nasturtiums against it, it’s a fine product , but those are even better speakers. As Suedkiez says, welcome to forum

1 Like

Your Nova should easily cope and deliver a great sound. I am a rare Kef user in the Naim world. I have had Reference 1’s on a 250DR for about 5 years. Stated power is the same as the Nova and it drives my speakers, which are slightly less sensitive than yours, with ease.

Enjoy.

1 Like

I don’t know the Kefs but as we said elsewhere the Nova does great with Titan 505 and 606s.

Regards,

Lindsay

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.