Keith Levene

The wonderful guitarist Keith Levene has died. Original member of The Clash but most famous for his time in PiL. Just loved his guitar work in ‘Public Image’. A true pioneer

4 Likes

@Richard.Dane - perhaps you could merge my thread with the one from @steviebee on same subject. Thanks

1 Like

Sorry CD - I didn’t see yours beforehand. Yes please do merge. Or I’ll just delete mine (is that possible?)
Sad news.

Really sad. Don’t mind who merges with who!

Perhaps amongst a few others who popularised the “Flanger”.

(every guitarist in the 80s had to have a Flanger. I wish they would bring it back along with today’s guitar driven bands :sunglasses:)

3 Likes

At 65, younger than me.
I am shocked, didn’t know he had liver cancer. So sad.

Keith, thanks for everything.
Forming The Clash with Mick, and ringing the strings with PiL. Blimey…

Rest in peace. Poptones Forever.

3 Likes

Have asked the moderator to merge our threads. Perhaps you could change his name to Levene

Done. Sorry. Hadn’t noticed I’d spelt it wrong.

@Richard.Dane - apologies, just delete this thread if easier than merging…

A legend.

3 Likes

Along with the almighty Wobble.

3 Likes

I don’t know which was the first, but there are now two concurrent Keith Levine threads following his deathe - perhaps good if @Richard.Dane were to combine?

They’ve been combined

Oooooooooops! (Sorry Richard)

1 Like
2 Likes

This article was interesting because Levene was obsessed with Steve Howe’s guitar playing and subsequently became a Yes roadie, leading to Rick Wakeman telling him to take up an instrument instead of being a roadie. A certain irony that one of the best post-punk guitarists was a Yes fan.

3 Likes

Someone whom I was proud to call my friend: madder than a box of frogs, a true creative genius. We’ll be organising a celebration of his life, hopefully before the year’s end.

Will miss you, Keithy.

5 Likes

Yup. We used to listen to Yessongs together and, about a week later, I’d get a phone call from him: “Timmy, you c#nt, now I can’t get ‘Starship Trooper’ out of me f#cking ‘ead…”

4 Likes

Nice obit from the Grauniad

2 Likes

This is the obit that he deserves, but I’ll take exception to Petrides’ assertion that ‘Hymie’s Him’ (and ‘Track 8’, for that matter) was a filler track: Keith wrote it (he basically wrote all of ‘Flowers’) and played every single instrument on it and it is simply magnificent

2 Likes

Well said.

1 Like