KTBA Cruise

Wanted to see if anyone was going to be on the Keeping the Blue’s Alive Mediterranean Cruise from August 23-28th.

Strange to think that a music form originating among repressed black people over 100 years ago and sung as a sign of rebellion ends up on a cruise around the med for five nights with people able to stump up £2,000+ for the privilege while the rather dull Joe Bonamassa rakes it in. I’m sure it would be great fun but somehow it seems incongruous. At the other extreme we are having a blues weekend in January with tickets at £17.50 a night and free events in the pubs during the day. It’s not the Med but the beer will be better and I’d take the Bonham-Bullick band over Bonamassa any day.

1 Like

I have to say, that as a retired fighter pilot I can’t help admiring someone who consistently starts loud and then accelerates…

2 Likes

It’s good enough for the fantastic Keb’ Mo’? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m sure he’ll be well recompensed for his efforts.

Dull Joe Bonamassa. You must have never seen him in concert. Plus one of reasons Bonamassa puts on these cruises is to keep the style of music from dying. The oppressed people you refer to are listening to rap not the blues (at least those under 40, but that’s the case for everyone—young blues fans are few and far between).

1 Like

I don’t know. Does playing to a few hundred people with deep pockets really keep the music alive? Or is it just a way to make money. I suspect the latter. Whatever, I’m sure you’ll have great fun. The idea of a cruise fills me with dread. Every time I go on a boat I want to throw myself off the side. Even the cross channel ferry is a challenge.

I support the blues at all levels. From the smallest clubs on up. I have no idea how much of the proceeds goes to the foundation but I really believe Bonamassa does it for more than the money.

1 Like

The blues is a great musical form. We do quite a few shows - we had Doug McLeod and Lil’ Jimmy Reed and a couple of months ago Alvin Youngblood Hart. In January it’s Dana Gillespie and Bonham-Bullick. If you fancy a trip to the U.K. you’d be very welcome!!

1 Like

I feel a whip-round coming on :joy:

1 Like

Back to my original question, is anyone going?

1 Like

I feel those on the boat with you would probably have thrown you off anyway. :grin:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.