Kudos Active day with Cymbiosis

:small_blue_diamond:@LindsayM,ā€¦It is called music-system optimization,.as I think you know :wink:.

The understanding of it grows over the years,.as knowledge and experience increase.
Products at this level are sensitive,.and react directly to various external actions.

But I assume that Naim has a recommendation on the appropriate Ethernet-cable when buying its ND555.
Later,.it is up to each one to fine optimize further.

/PederšŸ™‚

Well Iā€™ve never had reason to try different ethernet wires - I have a good solid Belbin for my Qb - but as I understand both Linn and Naim, and I assume other high end manufacturers, have gone to great lengths to ensure that the buffering process is so precise in their streamers that the brand of ethernet wire will not make any difference.

However, as you say it is up to each user to find their optimised solution.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Couldnā€™t disagree with you more. Every time Iā€™ve heard them, theyā€™ve been sensational.

I heard them passive at acoustics show last year and I really loved them

If your want to fork out Ā£7K then go for it. I really feel theyā€™re overpriced for what they are. Iā€™m certainly not inclined to swap out my ATCs.

1 Like

No need to, I already have 606ā€™s :grin:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve no experience of ATCs is very limited but isnā€™t it just a case of completely different presentation?

1 Like

Enjoy the 606s. I only have experience of the 505s as they are the only contenders in the Kudos range for me due to my small listening room. Given the reviews, I was expecting much more from the 505s. After hearing them at the show, both me and my partner felt they lacked resolution and transparency compared to my ATCs.

@TimOopNorth next time you visit Acoustica, mention the ATCs vs Titans 505s to Geoff :wink:

Which ATCā€™s are you proposing vs Titan 505ā€™s? Acoustica are my dealer, Iā€™ll be calling in there soon for something else but Iā€™d be interested in that comparison. Pete also said the SCM11ā€™s would be good for my second system with the Atom.

Depends on the size of your room. I really liked the larger 3-way SCM 40s but they kicked out to much bass for my room. I have passive SCM 19s and they are a great match for my room and system. Iā€™ve not heard the SCM 11s. All the speakers in the range share the same tweeter unit. The 19s have the larger SL mid/bass driver. According to reviews the 19s produce a fuller bodied sound and dig deeper into the bass regions than the SCM11s.

I have heard ATCs a couple of times (though one didnā€™t really count - just a quick wander in and out of one of the rooms at acoustica show) but didnā€™t really do anything for me. Sticking with my SL2s for a good few years yet

2 Likes

i heard also atc 19 and 40, passive. With Bryston electronics. I found the sound precise, neutral but not enough refined for my ears. The sound was a bit lean and linear, without enough nuances and textures.
However it was clean, clear and transparent, with good separation of instruments and soundstaging.

2 Likes

I donā€™t dispute the fact that the Kudos Titan range is pricey but listening to the 505s both passive and active at Cymbioisis there was no lack of resolution or transparency to my mind. I would suggest bongoman that you might not have heard the 505s at their best.

I have heard 505s with a naked Naim Nova (at the Bristol Show), mid spec Naim source/amplification (at the Active Roadshow at Cymbiosis) and Linn active amplification (at the Audio Show East). Possibly because I am tuned into the Naim SQ signature, I found the 505s driven by the Linn amplification rather flat and lifeless. I was actually surprised how good the 505s sounded with the unassuming Nova driving them. They of course sounded wonderful at Cymbiosis, both active and passive.

But I have also heard great things about ATC speakers, passive and active. To me the ATCs at the Audio East Show sounded and little hard and in-yer-face, but I would never make my mind up on just one show or even one dealer demo. ATCs are still on my wish list and I would listen a lot more before I came to a conclusion.

2 Likes

Thanks @NigelB I agree it makes sense to give further listening to any kit if your serious about purchasing it. Itā€™s a shame that the T505s were not showing their best at the Acoustica show. I may give them another listen if I get the chance to demo some pre-loved speakers

I guess Iā€™ve hit a sweet spot with my ATCs. Theyā€™ve seen me through numerous kit upgrades and theyā€™re now sounding better than ever so Iā€™m reluctant to change. All the ATCs across the range offer terrific value for money, which I feel some of the Kudos range do not. I know others on the forum love ATCs - this is probably the wrong thread to share the love :wink:

NigelB, my thoughts on the 505s are the same as yours I was very surprised ho good they sounded on the end of a Nova likewise I found the 606s to be rather nice as well.

My local dealer is now a Kudos dealer and he confirmed the I should be having a pair of 505 and 606 speakers on a extended back to back home demo in the near future.

1 Like

Can I just say that if you have hit a sweet spot with ATCā€™s then the Kudos range will not be for you no matter how good they may or may not sound. The ATCā€™s and Kudos have very different presentations. The ATCā€™s are very dry, analytical and matter of fact. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with that, but the Kudos are more music makers than speakers. Terms like transparency and resolution donā€™t come into it, you just enjoy.

I know as I have had both ATC and Kudos in my house with my system for extended listening periods and my preference as everyone will know, was for the Kudos Titans.

Kind regards

PB

3 Likes

Would be interested to hear your findings on here, pcd.

NigelB, yes I am looking forward to the home demo and will update in due course. Iā€™m hoping that the 5s will suffice starting with the ND555 and ending with the T505s but if I have to add a couple of numbers and end up with the T606 then so be it interesting and enjoyable times ahead?

1 Like

Sounds good. Out of interest, what is the 5s?

NigelB, starting with a ND555 ending with the T505 so hoping all the fives work well together in my room with my system.