Kudos KS1 speaker cable

“KS-1 based on comments herinafore appears to be a popular speaker cable, amongst users of Naim Gear”

Indeed it is Jazz65B for 3 main reasons - price (it’s 50% cheaper than A5), profile (slim, bendy and discreet) and most importantly performance because it really does punch above it’s weight. Sure, one can spend thousands on exotic alternatives such as Spectre and I’m sure it’ll blow listeners away but for the price 2 x 5m runs would cost me I’d have to wonder if a component upgrade would make better sense. You pays your money…

7 Likes

??? NAC A5 and KS-1 are virtually the same price aren’t they ? £39/m vs £35/m

1 Like

I paid a touch over £20 per metre from an online cable dealer on eBay who gave me a discount for the 2 x 5m runs I wanted and a week-long burn-in service before shipping.

3 Likes

I’m also awaiting delivery of Spectre. WH received the cable reel yesterday and are now starting testing and expect to start shipping in 3-4 weeks. They have a long order list so it depends where you are in the queue I guess?

I’m looking forward to them arriving. Currently running KS-1 into Titan 606.

Let’s see.

2 Likes

Well, I’m about a week in and have to say I’m still really enjoying what I’m hearing with NACA5 back in the system. I have yet to flip back to KS1, which I will do as its still in place so won’t be difficult just not sure when.

4 Likes

thanks for the update Steve, sounding good…enjoying the music is the important thing.
NACA5 is good cable.

On a different but similar note, last night took the grilles of the 606’s (following comments on a post). For reasons unknown never tried them without before…initial findings are positive - more sparkly/lively, but not harsh. Interesting stuff…

3 Likes

It is interesting, slight changes cant make a differnce and its a little trial and error really, but as you say Anthony, it what sounds best to your ears.

1 Like

I’ve never tried my 707’s with the grills off but I may do now. My wife prefers the aesthetic with them on and I can never be bothered keep swapping and changing but it’ll be interesting to try.

As regards speaker cable I don’t think there’s any right or wrong answer, it’s what you prefer. I haven’t tried A5 in years. When I did I liked it but didn’t like its rigidity/inflexibility. When I demoed speaker cable recently the KS-1 stood out to me so I bought it. I didn’t try A5 this time though so can’t really comment on how they compare.

2 Likes

If it feels right it’s right :slight_smile:

Well, as promised I have now popped the KS1 back in to my system and like the first time they were inserted they sound great. Compared to the NACA5 they seem a little more fleet footed and more airy.

I think I’ll keep the NACA5 in the cupboard as I really enjoyed the last two weeks with them back in the system but for now I think KS1 wins the day.

9 Likes

Thanks Steve

Well worth the experience/reaffirmation…

I found the KS-1 more delicate and nuanced than others…whilst still offering a ‘full’ sound…

and what tremendous value.

7 Likes

Hey Toon!!
I understand Spectre is currently being tested against various plug types in order to allow and apease users/listeners a choice. We both know one man’s meat is and or could be anothers poison.

Hats off tho WHA for their quiet considerations on this point. I have seen may negative comments on various forums slating WHA Customer Service Accumen… The best Laid Plans Of Mice and Men Sometimes Go Awry. From My experience with WHA^^ They are PASSIONATE ABOUT WHAT THEY DO!! THEY ARE EX-NAIM GUYS. I HARDLY THINK THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE AS PASSIONATE AS NAIM! I am not about to try and compare other than share my thoughts. I LOVE THE NAIM AUDIO SOUND SIGNATURE AND HAVE NO DESIRE TO CHANGE MY NAIM GEAR

To my ears WHA cables compliments My System! They RETAIN the Note of My GEAR!! Doing so at a price I can live with…
I CAN NO LONGER AFFORD THE PRICES OF THE FAMOUS 2 Brands normally associated with Naim Gear. With this in mind WHA is…

END GAME FOR ME!!

My Gear’s Note is Retained!!

From hearing Naim’s Gear way way back at a Show, Meeting Julian Vereker and chatting about his ideas and concepts… As a then Musician. I got his mindsent immediately^^ When I go home after a live Gig^^ I want to hear the band and instruments therein sound as they did Live.

LONG LIVE NAIM!!

LONG LIVE WITCH HAT AUDIO!

Together They Give Me Exactly as “Julian Vereker and I Discussed” So Many Years Ago.

*TO MY TRAINED EARS^^

SYNERGY OF BOTH COMPANIES GEAR BRINGS ME UTTER MUSICAL JOY!!

Josh at WH if this post is not wiped!!
Your Customer Services Accumen is Impecable!!

The point re. WH maybe isn’t that they are ex-Naim guys, but rather why EX ?

1 Like

If we focus on the bass response between naca5, Phantom, KS-1. How would you rank them from most powerful to least powerful?

That could run into many many hundreds?

Perhaps they didn’t want/ couldn’t afford to carry on living near Salisbury? Or perhaps they didn’t like the ownership change? Isn’t it more relevant to judge their cables (and KS-1) against the benchmark that is A5 and buy whichever you like best?

For the holiday home, I expect to replace the black A5 with white KS-1, not because of the SQ difference (which I will admit is non-zero) but because its colour and flexibility make it so much easier to accommodate.

See what I mean?

7 Likes

You can box off cables that run over a door frame if you want to hide them completely. This door has 4 thin network cables concealed under a strip of timber moulding that I fixed to the architrave.

10 Likes

Can someone do me a favour, and measure the diameter of the cable please? (Main body, not the thinner terminated ends).

I want to get some cable clips purchased in advance, so I can tack the cable loosely to the rear of my sideboard.

Here you are. :+1:t2:
6mm

9 Likes

That’s brilliant - thanks very much for doing that.

1 Like