Kudos S20s

I have a Naim Nova playing through Naim Allaes and I’m thinking of upgrading to a pair of Kudos S20s, does anyone have any experience of them, has anyone made a similar switch or used them with a Nova?

Nick

I tried these when I did a demo of Nova and other speakers…they just did not come alive to my ears, seemed to have a recessed soundstage. I had every intention based on forum feedback that Kufos was the way to go, ended up with PMC 25.26.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as Gazza. Having read all the positive posts on the old forum I was convinced they were what I was looking for on the end of my SN2.
Had a home demo for a week recently and they sounded way too bright and uninvolving in my room. Would definitely not purchase without a home demo.
On the plus side I’ve zero plans to change my old speakers now so saved a bag of cash

1 Like

Thanks for your replies, the audition advice is spot on but they are pre owned so it’s not an option. I bought s400 Ovators to replace the Allae’s and they were terrible so I moved them on so I’ll take your advice and not buy them.
Thanks,
Nick

There are some excellent speakers at a similar price you could audition including Spendor D7s or ProAc Response D20R. I preferred both to the Kudos when seeking out the right speakers. Although I’ve not heard the exact model in Gazza’s post, I enjoyed what I heard through PMC speakers too. However, what sounds best is a matter of taste and I can understand some prefer a brighter more forward sound. It is also room dependent so I found a home audio works best.

I have S20’s and absolutely love them although I think they need more than a Nova to create a balanced system. There are people here using them with 500 series electronics to good effect, so they are pretty high end. I use mine with an NDX/282/HicapDR/250dr.

Can you listen to them first, ideally in your own room?

You could look to the Kudos C20’s. They look the same and are cheaper and a bit less demanding but very good. They are very similar in strengths and weaknesses though. Some find both these speakers a bit bright, this is due to the tweeter which is very high quality and very revealing but in the right system they are both very good indeed.

Richard

I was concerned I was creating a bit of a mullet system, I think you’re right the Nova hasn’t got enough for them. I’ll just keep my Allaes and spend my hard earned on something else.

Nick

1 Like

I have the Super 20s on a 272/250DR system and think they sound fab. Not bright at all. Sounds very balanced to me.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.