Kudos Titan 808. The new Isobarik?

I decided against active with my 808s without really discussing much with Pete. Had made my own mind up but he wasn’t pushing active - like you, I can’t be doing with all the shelves. I daresay those 808s are sounding a bit better than mine - I had those dem speakers from new and ran them in, and they have been a couple of other places since then before you got them. Mind you - I have had mine for just over 3 months now!

1 Like

I take it they take a bit of running then?

Yep they are sounding pretty great.

I agree with all the boxes to go active, I just didn’t want that. Now I’ve made my mind up with my gear I never want to hear an active system, just in case it sounds better than our set up. :joy:

I’m just contemplating another 555dr ps, I have Ross’ at the minute while mine is on order and then I will demo the two. Your thoughts on another 555?

Cheers.

1 Like

By the way thanks for running them in, you did a good job!!!

2 Likes

I did work particularly hard at running the first set in :joy: they maybe got more use while I had them than my pair have since then. Polarbear has mentioned to me that his are still improving and he has has them well over a year

I will probably be getting a second 555. Haven’t see anyone say it’s not a very large improvement on ND555.

But the last year has been ridiculous (808s, a 500, melco n1z, superlumina speaker cable and xlrs, loads spent on turntable) so am having to pull up the drawbridge and refuse to speak to Pete again before 2022!

1 Like

I know the feeling😂

1 Like

The first time I heard the 808’s the first thing I thought of was Briks
Anyone going to these from Briks should be very happy

Lyndon

3 Likes

Hi Huxley.

I’m impressed that a speaker as big as the 808 can work so well close to the sides walls as yours are. I think the Dynaudios Conference 50 would need more room from what I’ve heard about. Hope you don’t mind me posting your picture for context?

I can’t comment on the 808s having never heard them but I know the Dyns C50 sound very special from the demo I had. If I had the room space and funds for speakers at that level, those and the 808s would definitely be going up against each other.

Cheers, Rack.

9 Likes

Hi Tim.

Shame you don’t like the look but you’ve got to live with whatever speakers you choose.

Glad the 808s are doing it for you though. :+1:t5:

Cheers, Rack.

1 Like

I’m with you. Oddly proportioned and awkward looking things.

The only other speaker I considered was the Wilson Sasha DAW - a bit more money - and a different presentation, but really good. Work well with Naim. Look sexy too.

…I may go back there one of these days.

I’m certain Kudos will make a 909 at some point - they have a new chap joined them which allows Derek to get on with designing and building speakers. And when I spoke to him he was clear he thought that there was a market for a £45k speaker.

5 Likes

Addressing the thread question, isobaric is a cabinet design approach to achieving adequate bass response from a speaker. The 808 indeed uses the isobaric principle for its bass. Therefore if in other respects it reproduces the audio signal as well as, or better than, the original Linn Isobaric it may indeed be appropriate to dub it ‘The New Isobaric’.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that you can call it the new isobaric. A new isobaric, yes, but there are others, including several Neat models amongst others. To be fair, probably the best isobaric so far, though.

Not in this house :grin:

1 Like

In my view speaker costing that order of magnitude is applicable to any house with a system with the rest costing half that amount!

Well. You say that… :joy:

Get the price paid back for the 808s, find a bit more, it’s…pooosssibbllle…

I’m not sure I completely follow the equation - but If I interpret it correctly it sounds like I’m currently significantly under speakered!

A. (Cost of all other HiFi components / 2) = Optimum Speaker investment)

…if we use that - then yes - Derek can sell me a pair of 909s! …just!

Or is it the other way round?

B. (Speaker Investment / 2) = Budget for all other HiFi components combined

…in which case, I’ll get me coat.

1 Like

Tra la la la la, not listening :crazy_face:

1 Like

Just that to my mind/ears given that the speakers have the greatest influence on the sound character of a system, and decent speakers are inherently expensive because reproducing deep bass well is difficult, it makes sense for the greatest expenditure to be on speakers (assuming paying new cost). “Of the order of” of course does not mean £45k, and half that amount would easily be included (or double)…

The problem will then be…what amp to drive the 909? Statement is a bridge too far for most mere mortals. Just thinking out loud here…

1 Like

Rack,
It’s another positive with the 808’s - placement.
I’ve got more space down the other end of my room in the photograph but I like the system where it is pictured. They sound just great as they are. The manual says pull them in at least 45cm from a side wall.
And they are close to the back wall too.

I am sure others give them more space and I no doubt will experiment with different that at some point but for now, they just fit right in.

2 Likes

May I as how wide is your room at the end where they are pictured?