Kudos X2 "boomy" bass

I assure you that with the sock I solved the bass boom problem. I ordered the Ricable Custom BDA bass damper before the sock rehearsal, otherwise I wouldn’t have even got them. overall I like them very much, much more than the P3esr, they are much funnier and have a more “lively” sound

Thanks for that info, I’ll have a look at them.
When I heard the X2’s, I actually preferred them to the X3, although the pair I heard were new and not burnt in. I felt to my ears the X2’s were more balanced.

I listened to some X2s at a well known dealer some years ago, whilst my TT was being serviced. They were bring fed by quite an expensive signal, I thought they sounded excellent.

1 Like

first try with a sock, it costs nothing.
let me know how it goes

bass damper plugs arrived today, I installed them and the effect is the same as the sock, just a little bit more restrained but it could be a suggestion.
in any case I am very happy with the result and the speakers in general.

Might sound a silly question, but did you roll up several socks to make a ‘bung’ to fit into the bottom port? Or just something loosely fitting… ?
Dread asking, as invariably there will be someone out there who will advise on audiophile quality socks no doubt :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I simply rolled up the first sock from the drawer

@damn2k
Thanks for all the info, I’ll give it a try tomorrow

1 Like

Tried the sock thing and wasn’t for me unfortunately. Took the life out of the speakers, once removed the speakers could ‘breathe’ again… which is what I suppose the hole is for!
Oh well, cost nothing and deffo better without socks for me.
And no before anyone asks, I didn’t try different socks, checking left and right match the speakers etc etc :joy:

1 Like

I find that Pantherella Wool Collection socks work best - definitely have to be a matched pair though…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In all seriousness rear ported floor-standers can cause bass issues in certain rooms. Experimentation with the distance from boundary walls and toe-in etc. can all make a big difference. Amplifiers with more grip and/or a different sound balance can also help. Room treatment is another solution.

It took me all three of the above before I finally tamed the bass output of my Tannoys. I tried the sock trick - I wasn’t so keen on its effect but I have used foam in the ports of my Tannoy sub to very good effect - now sounds more like a sealed unit - more punchy/controlled though not as deep. FYI it required the rear of my Tannoys to be about 70cm from the front wall + GIK 244 panels behind the speakers and in corners to really sort it out to my satisfaction.

I think the X2s are bottom ported rather than rear ported.

Roger

Actually 360 degree ported, as they have a base (and sit on the floor)…

They are indeed bottom ported onto their base.
@anon4489532 … it’s a long time since seeing a ‘Kipper’ book, brings back memories from when the kids were young.

Yes, I loved reading that book to the boys in bed. It was just the mention of sock thing in your post that brought back the memory.

Made me smile too

I have had C20 for several years. It is bottom ported as well. Bass is tight and tuneful in my experience. It’s the room that the speakers interact, that cause the boom. I do find Kudos speakers rather easy to position for a ported design speakers.

2 Likes

it must be said that I have recently taken home and that the furniture is not complete, therefore the living room is still empty, the side wall is empty and I do not have the curtains yet :sweat_smile:
as soon as I have completed everything I remove the plugs and see if the room acoustics have improved

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.