Kyoto & Osaka with kids

Sounds like you had a superb time and thank you, we can’t wait to go! I appreciate the restaurant recommendations too, there seems an overwhelming choice of places to go, so getting first hand experience is very welcome.

You could try Nishiki Market, one of my favorite places for eating in Kyoto.

It is on the list for sure - picking up a late breakfast and eating at the stalls (but not walking and eating, I duly note…). When were in Sapporo earlier this year, the fish market had some great options.

1 Like

FWIW, my wife is taking our youngest to Universal Studios Japan in Osaka next month because they just opened up Super Mario World. While it might not be the cultural experience you are desiring, I’m betting your kids would go berserk.

I hate to admit it, but it is ranking joint first (with Kyoto food) as the reason for the trip…!

1 Like

Another kid friendly activity in Kyoto is the Arashiyama Monkey Park http://www.monkeypark.jp and it’s not far from the Bamboo Forest Walk.
The turtle Stepping Stone Bridge opposite Demachiyanagi Station is also very cool (and free). And even the rooftop garden at Kyoto Station is worth a look. But there’s so much in Kyoto and nearby you’ll run out of time before anything else.
We had a hotel on the South edge of Kyoto Station at one point, and even just sitting by the window watching the Shinkansen arriving and leaving was enjoyable.

2 Likes

Forgivectgectgread drift.
I am going to be staying for 3 nights in Marutamachi area in mid May with my daughter(age33). She says we need to book a restaurant ahead of time as it is hard to get good casual meals in Kyoto. (She has never been to Japan).She has gone all out and booked us at Keko a Michelin starred restaurant, but I am watching my pennies. Can you eat at Nishiki markets at night? It’s close to where we are staying and could fit my budget a bit better.

There are some good sit-in restaurants in the Nishiki market, but the market is closed very early, I think it is around 6:30 pm. However, there are quite a few good, inexpensive restaurants in the surrounding area.

If you do not speak Japanese, you can of course point your finger on what you want to have, as they typically have good menu with pictures or some good, nice plastic dishes on display in front of the restaurant.

1 Like

Domo!

2 Likes

Dou itashimashite.

1 Like