Language That May Offend

:crazy_face:
I’ll keep trying. At the risk of repeating myself:

The phrase that was in my 1980s books was ‘as black as soot’.
I do not find this offensive in any way.

The phrase in my stepfather’s 1950s books was ‘as black as n

’
I find this offensive.
I am glad it was changed for the editions I read as a boy.

I hope that’s now sufficiently clear. If not, I’m all out of ideas.

Mark

5 Likes

I think it is sad that ‘Only Fools’ wouldn’t get past the program commissioners today as virtually all the views expressed would be deemed offensive despite the hilarious, non offensive, intentions of the writer.

To call Rodney ‘a plonker’ is surely extreme bullying & deleterious to his mental health?

Language that always offends me is ‘Norwich City - Nil’.

4 Likes

If they are editing ‘The Sweeney’ in the UK then we really are all buggered.

2 Likes

Thou leathern-jerkin, crystal-button, knot-pated, agatering, puke-stocking, caddis-garter, smooth-tongue, Spanish pouch!

Appalling stuff. Should be banned imo.

4 Likes

Pop culture is always an historic thing since “nudge,nudge wink wink, youknowwhat I mean” has been around since Jesus started collecting disciples.
Haha.

Pete The Painter was stopped from describing a Toyota recently

I take the view, the only constant is change. We seem to accept four letter words easier than derogatory words.

2 Likes

The good news is that cancel culture will self consume itself.

1 Like

No I was stopped for miss spelling the model name which accidentally meant it was some illegal power supply.

Re the subject of the thread I do feel sorry for them they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. But really does it bother anyone that much if they do, in the scheme of things it’s really small potatoes.

It’s not quite a cuddly car.

1 Like

Very few are. :grin:

Followed by " Ipswich Town-One" would hurt even more!

1 Like

Similarly I never understood the hate for Love Thy Neighbour. Whilst the language used is rightly no longer considered acceptable Eddie Booth always came off worse and the show almost mocked the racism aspect, portraying both men as argumentative children. The wives got on just fine and were presenting and anti-racist message imo. The show made me laugh as a yougster.

3 Likes

Unfortunately then you must be constantly offended!

2 Likes

I received admonishment from my US (liberal arts) educated 30 year olds for using the word “n**gardly”. It was, the most appropriate in meaning and context, and fitted the flow of thought and speech. I must admit that a flash of doubt did pass through my mind as I spoke, but it was almost instantaneously countered by “nah, they’re balanced and thinking lads” and so . . . I uttered.

I offered civilised discussion, and got quick rebuke, " don’t even think of going down that road Dad . . ."

A few takes on the subject that I implore the moderator to allow:
Wikipedia https://bit.ly/3efYZnD
Washignton Post https://wapo.st/3CfYm5r

As if that is ever going to happen

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.