Laptop to streamer

Hello everybody,
Could someone explain how to connect a laptop pc to a NDX .
With my previous streamer I used a Usb B digital input (optical and coax inputs are already used)
Regards,
Patrick

You have a few options. A wired connection would have to be SPDIF, and if you don’t have a spare output, you could use a USB to SPDIF converter.
Alternatively, run a UPnP server on the computer such as Asset, and the streamer will find the music over your network.

Thank you for your answer.
Actually not so much options, as a USB to SPDIF converter is not cheap…

The Gustard U12 costs about £150 I think, and is very good. I used one for isolation of RF from a Hugo DAC, which it did very well, and Richard Dane tested one a couple of years ago and commented recently. (Link)

Yes but on top of that I think you need a Coax to BNC adaptor to get into the NDX…

£20-£50? E.g you can buy a made up Mogami 75ohm BNC cable for about £30, so one with a good RCA on one end should be similar.

A coax or Toslink cable with the correct connectors should be fairly cheap and easy to source. What do you want to connect the laptop for? Both laptop and streamer are likely to need a network connection in any case, so maybe that’s all you need?

For music I would use J river and stream through upnp

1 Like

And if it is a Mac (which I assume it is not) I would use Audirvana, and output through dedicated USB bus for optimum sound and avoiding streaming across the network, so making the OP’s question relevant…

Actually I would avoid usb and stream through network. I’m delighted with the improvements made streaming through upnp and Spdif instead of USB

What are you using as a renderer? Last I recall you were using a MacBook direct to Dave, which I thought was USB, similarly to Rob Watts?

mixture of both

In old setup was your Mac also the store, or did you use a networked NAS? And what did you use as the renderer on the MAc?

I have used Serviio media server for three years running on a PC to stream my local files over UPnP. A free version is available but I paid $25 to license the Pro version. Very reliable.

@Analogmusic , A further couple of questions if I may: what makes you feel the difference is the UPnP+SPDIF rather than the different renderer? And do you run the DigiOne from batteries to retain the immunity to ground plane modulation, as you did with Mac?

For reference I’m asking because I’m considering the alternatives to Mac Mini/Audirvana, and the DigiOne Statement is one of the potential options.

Because I tried usb from an auralic streamer into Dave and the spdif output from the same auralic into Dave

There’s no doubt to 2 of us who heard it that the coax spdif output sounded a lot more musical.

Oh and by the way. On my iPhone which runs on batteries there’s an improvement when it’s on airplane mode… so batteries are not the full answer here when used as a source into my Chord mojo.

Also I plan to buy a linear PSU for the digione as I don’t like battery based solutions

That of course may not necessarily be the case with devices other than the autilic streamer you used, and unless I’m understanding wrong, that is just a comparison of USB vs SODIF on the device, not UPnP vs internal storage?

Indeed. However even on a mighty blu2/Dave we found that the streamer used had a big influence on the final musicality.

If you are happy with the sound then maybe it’s best to stay put.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.