Large Music Collections – Why?

They’re CDs and downloads. I have thought of selling my CDs I never play them. There just packed in boxes in the spare room, Mrs Pete would probably give them to you if you called in while I wasn’t home. :grin:

Ha ha I’ll keep that in mind

Kind of a silly question

Interesting question and I find my collection breaks down into a few categories;

1. Artists who I have complete works from, these would include Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega, The XX, Daughter, Faithless, London Grammar and a few others.

2. Artists who had an era that I really liked, Pink Floyd being a prime example where I’ve got all their output post Syd Barrett (got a couple with him as part of collections but confirms that part of their music isn’t for me).

3. Popular ones of their time, or ones that were but didn’t gel with me enough to buy them first time round. Duran Duran Rio would be a perfect example of this, much of Depeche Mode also fits here.

4. Genre types that I enjoy, quite a few classic Hip Hop artists/collections from 80s would apply here.

5. Classic must haves that then led to a discovery of their wider collections. Miles Davis , John Coltrane etc (although my first Miles album was Tutu, which I still adore).

6. The why the hell did I buy that. I’ve always been prepared to take a risk and these haven’t all paid off. Amazon made this a bigger issue where I have ended up with entire discography of an artist based on a couple of good tracks and then they become dust gatherers. Idaho I am looking at you. Fortunately Amazon haven’t yet introduced a “buy whole collection” sweep right function yet.

7. Because of point 6 I have dipped a toe in streaming (which I fundamentally dislike based on the commercial model and what it means for musicians) to at least sample more music before purchasing physical media version. Still haven’t been overly successful here, instead using it more for playlist of things I already have for background listening when working.

8. Record label stablemates - labels who I find an artist who I like I will take a punt on another band or artist in the stable. 4AD been a good example of this. Red House Painters I think being my first artist on this label.

9. Most latterly posts on here on artists I wouldn’t have heard of, @TheKevster has been a great source of knowledge on pieces I wouldn’t have a scooby about.

This all brings me to a collection unknown in size, but would estimate based on the physical space it occupies of approx 700 vinyl, and well, maybe double that in CD, real rough estimates on the CD side.

4 Likes

The same with me because my buying is going to a record shop. I like to browse. Same with books.

As you say tastes change. It used to be rock. Now i like more jazz and blues.

1 Like

Since i was a boy it was music and formula 1. Things have not changed in 10 years i will be 90.

5 Likes

I have nothing in 1 or 8.

You just reminded me of the need to read the exam question, I read your answer as “I have nothing in 1 through 8”, which left me racking my brains as to the why behind some of your choices, having re-read makes more sense, my failing, not yours.

2 Likes

I love music and have around 700 ripped CDs on my NAS. The collection is small and static with less than 15 cds bought per annum.
I am a musical magpie in my tastes. I overwhelmingly will listen to one song by an artist at a time, and rarely ever a whole album except as background music. Also about 90% of what I listen to is streamed on tidal.
If I visit a record/ CD shop I would not know what to buy. Why bother when I get get whatever I want on tidal?
I regard my $40,000 stereo as a glorified jukebox. I sometimes feel it is a bit wasted on me but I really enjoy it, although I am not a “proper “ listener. When I retire I might just make do with my Nait 2 and blue sound streamer, as it provides me with a jukebox experience with lots of prat and ultimately would still give a good experience at the level I “deserve”.

5 Likes

Well of course there are those who are “HiFi” hobbyists and those who love music, they are not always one and the same imo
(I often see lots of names contributing to the HiFi side of the forum who are never seen discussing music in the music forums)
:heart:

1 Like

Are you coming to see Maroon Town?

1 Like

They are/were on at Shoreham just up the road, still have tickets postponed from last year. Great band!
What date are you hosting them?
:heart:

An ex-girlfriend’s father was an audiophile with an astounding collection. Every wall in his house was converted to shelves, including the entry foyer, and the garage was converted to a library with aisles of tall shelves. All albums. 95% classical. No idea how many. The man was essentially blind and had someone go out into the garage and randomly grab a box full of albums. Those he’d rotate into his listening. When he passed away (after her and I had split) she told me they threw all the albums away. Into dumpsters they went.

2 Likes

The world is changing, music too…….The music i liked in the 80 is not my favourite music anymore. Not that it is bad, but useless to store it on my Melco…Now I have a catalogue from about 250 cd stored on my Melco. Music is almost all from this age…and when i buy new music it is mostly jazz contemporain from ECM or Blue Note……
If it’s not on the Melco i can here it in TIDAL,……and after listening several times i sometimes download it from QOBUZ on my Melco…….What i said in the beginning………the way of listening has changed for me…….

Sorry for being a pedant HH but there is another unplugged version of Hotel on Hell Freezes Over and it’s quite superb.

Good call for the Goldbergs though, must go and spin!

1 Like

I’m the exact opposite! in many cases the style of music I like mean that the majority of albums are complete musical entities, and best played as that - and I tend to dislike hearing isolated tracks without the rest. Radio style playing - or random track play, or “playlists” are mostly anathema to me except possibly as background music.

2 Likes

Looks like the start of a Venn diagram, to see if anyone fits all criteria

1 Like

They are coming on 16 October. It’s in a small hall and should be great fun. You’ll see all our stuff on our website, details of which are in my profile.

1 Like

I’d argue all albums are intended to be complete musical entities regardless of genre.

1 Like