Latest Gen Smart Meters - any issues?

Had no issues with any smart meters , had several lots installed now. Bought a house yesterday with smar meters and when I rang up to give readings they already knew them which saves a lot of hassle

Very happy with Bulb also. Me too for recommendations!

My first generation SM display (E.on) when it was near the HiFi but not on the same circuit was a significant source of noise of one sort or another. I moved it to the hall and keep it turned off.

Phil

1 Like

That certainly doesn’t address the issue of how much smart meters affect sound quality (lots of threads on the subject on the old forum). And there’s very little useful information on smart meters in France in the article itself.

1 Like

I can’t really see how a Smart Meter would affect SQ. The only difference really between the Smart Meter and the conventional meter is that it contains a small switching supply to drive the sensing and signalling electronics. Most houses already contain enough switching supplies to make this a minor problem in the grand scheme of things. As Debs noted above, there may be a slight improvement due to the remaking of the connections to and from the meter especially If like mine they haven’t been touched since the house was built (around 18 years ago).

On another note i’ve still not had the meters done yet. After trying to book an appointment, my supplier came back saying demand was high and i’d have to wait. No rush…

1 Like

I did not claim to comment on sound issues, the comments on smart meters have always been about their limitations re switching suppliers and the availability of the version 2 of the meter. Given the amount of electronic junk in the urban environment the smart meter would have to be very noisy to cause aggravation to the tender eared.

Agreed - but in previous threads the issue seemed to be about the effects of power line technology on SQ, an issue which does not seem to be addressed here - I hasten to add that I’m not an electrician and I have to rely on what “experts” have to say. The French system (“Linky”) relies on PL technology.

1 Like

Ah ok - yes different to the UK system. I can understand your concern now !

We ignored def when they kept sending us mailers. No point here as no mobile phone signal here so I wasn’t going to have the old meter ripped out only having to see it reinstalled! We have low energy bulbs throughout the house and watch what we burn so I see little point in them as I’m happy to submit my meter readings on line. At least I’m keeping a meter reader employed for the odd in person reading.

1 Like

Yes, i’m quite happy sending in monthly readings and have done all the energy saving we can (low energy bulbs, getting rid of constantly powered up Hi-Fi). Not surprisingly the cheaper tariffs are coming with the condition of having a Smart Meter installed. After the input from this thread and a bit of general research i’m happy now to go ahead and have the work done when i get get an installation date…

Yes there are still issues, the indoor display unit shows my solar panel as being a user of energy rather than a provider. However the actual meter outside does read correctly. Communications between the network and the provider seems to be an issue and although the meters have an external antenna connection, no one seems to make use of this. When mine was fitted I did get my meter tails upgraded for free, as apparently it was only 60A and they were replaced by 100A.From a consumer point of view I dont see much use for a smart meter, as I know the washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher use a lot of energy.
Alan

Exactly! We’ve always been mindful of these things over the years which why at 60 and when we move, my beloved multi box Naim system will also need to go for something more environmentally friendly. Come on Naim, please try to come up with something that doesn’t need to stay on for months before peaking! I’ve, horror of horrors, turned my pile off every night to help save the planet and you know what, my slight perceived benefits for not keeping it on for 24 hrs/day really aren’t there. I’ve had audio equipment for the best part of 40 years and have never left anything on around the clock. Does my Miele washing machine or dishwasher perform better if running for 24 hours? Perhaps not!

1 Like

Does the Zigbee signal affect WiFi??

No as they are on different frequencies.

Well 3 months after asking the question, we’ve had ours fitted. A pleasant lady from Morrison Utilities turned up on time this morning, was slightly concerned that the gas meter was on the other side of the house from the Electric meter but said she’d fit the Electric meter and test the pairing before go ahead and fitting the Gas meter. She fitted the Electric Meter first with no issues and checked all the connections in the meter cupboard for tightness including the Henley block (for my dedicated CU) and declared all fine so i could power everything back up again. She then went to fit the Gas meter, again with no problems. After purging the pipes and checking all was working, a quick demo of the In House Display followed and she was done. It took about 2 hrs in all and everything seems to be working fine. The tariff data downloaded late this afternoon so the IHD is now showing all the info correctly.

Most importantly, i’ve not noticed any difference with the Hi-Fi (not that i was expecting any). I do note that the main 100A fuse is now the other way round but we don’t worry about those sort of things here…

1 Like

The cost is always bourn by the user, not “themselves”

Yes. That’s what I said…

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks!

Our two earth wires go direct to the black fuse box rather than via a connector block, which is interesting. The wires also seem a lot thicker. I’m quite envious of you having a mouse nest in the gas meter cupboard though.

It’s the standard 25mm2 tails and 16mm2 earth so i’d expect the same of yours. We normally get a blue tit using the gas meter box overnight during winter so the ‘nest’ was left alone.

1 Like

100% agree PLUS they use a bit of electricity to work therefore actually cost you money to run.