LED car headlight upgrade - anyone done successfully?

BSOE = BS or E!

I’ve just looked at a pair of Philips H4 bulbs and I may try them once I’ve sorted out my wiring loom repair and reinstall.

1 Like

Just to add, my 2022 Passat has LED headlights, has self-levelling, but doesn’t have headlight washers.

If you really are concerned that, even with upgraded halogen bulbs, your headlights are almost dangerous due to poor output, I’d say just go ahead and buy a pair of LED replacements but only those that replicate the source point of the light in the original bulb. ie, not a cheap pair off the ‘Bay. I’d say that’s the lesser of two evils, and you’re very unlikely to end up in trouble because of it.

But hey, this is a world where some people insist on driving around mini roundabouts, even if there’s nobody around and the action is pointless!

More to the point, this is a world where there is all too little consideration of other road users. All too many people have badly adjusted headlamps that dazzle other road users (or maybe they are using inappropriate LED bulbs that foul up the beam pattern), don’t indicate until they actually start turning the steering wheel, if even then; carve up cyclists; do a constant 45 mph whether in a 70, 60, 50, 40, 30 or 20 mph zone, etc. I try not to do any of these things, hence my caution over changing bukbs to make headlamps brighter.

And hence the caution in my post!

I’ll be doing a beam pattern comparison and as long as it looks OK and brightness is satisfactory then I’ll be using LEDs.

The cars that do the most dazzling are new cars with LEDs, sure they make it nice for the driver but for other road users they can be blinding.
When an LED equipped car is behind me I can feeI can feel the heat on the back of my hand from the door mirror as I try to reduce dazzle and see where I’m going. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Have you ever put your hand right over an LED bulb? There’s not a lot of heat from them. Heat is generated from the gubbins behind, but you won’t feel that either.

The reflection of the LED headlights in the door mirror blinds me so I block it with my hand. I can feel radiant heat on my hand.

They don’t emit heat. That’s one reason they are so efficient.

1 Like

The photons still get converted to heat when they hit an object like my mirror which then radiates IR that I can feel. The high light energy from LEDs makes this more noticeable.

Wow

There is no heat. It’s all in your mind.

1 Like

Have you compared holding your hand three inches in front of a GU10 halogen bulb compared with the same with a GU10 LED bulb?

If not, do it. You will understand why you are meeting incredulity here!

2 Likes

Been quiet here for a few days :wink:

1 Like

Didn’t see the silence coming. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

It’s a visual not aural thread, awaiting something illuminating…!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.