LED Lights and Hi-Fi

Hi, no of the Hue lights we use one can only adjust the white temperature rather than the colour

How do you find the Hue lights for reliability - any issues Simon (or others who have them) ??

James

I guess thatā€™s what I really meant ā€“ white temperature (which translates to color) ā€“ not ā€˜we can make it blue or redā€™ sort of color.

James

Weā€™ve had ours for almost 1 year now, bought on Black Friday as there were some well priced bundles. We actually bought 2 starter kits and have stored a spare hub as this was cheaper.

Very reliable except for one light strip failure in the kitchen which happened almost immediately.

Some of our lights are the coloured ones, to be honest they are probably not worth the expense as we only use them to vary the colour temperature in the white light spectrum.

What we do like are the motion sensors, we have 3 for hallway, kitchen and conservatory so the lights come on when entering the room. These are small and battery operated and solved a problem with the under cupboard kitchen lights where there wasnā€™t an obvious place to put the switch. The light strips are very expensive but in our kitchen are sufficient on their own for most of the time. Weā€™re really pleased with these despite the cost.

The wireless switch is good too, for around Ā£17 or you can get it bundled with a standard white bulb for a little more. This has allowed a switch to be positioned in our conservatory where a wired switch would have been intrusive. Another switch turns on the table lamps in the sitting room and we have another ā€˜stuckā€™ (they are magnetic) to the side of the fridge as a way to manually control the under cupboard lights. Each time you press the switch you can have a different mood setting so in the sitting room we have full on, a listen to music setting which is dimmer and a watch TV mood which is lower again. Weā€™ve also put an Inur switched socket on a cabinet that had built in lighting and this pairs with Hue perfectly.

Richard

2 Likes

Nice one Richard - I think iā€™ll give the starter kit a go as itā€™ll link in with the Logitech Harmony we use for controlling the bits and pieces in the lounge. Hello Amazonā€¦

Cheers

James

Iā€™ve not had problems with LED lights and the HiFi, but I have had related problems. In the kitchen I have a Sanyo music centre thing - radio, CD etc., and one set of lights were low voltage halogen lights (MR11). I changed most of the bulbs for LED equivalents, without changing the driver/transformer. All seemed well for quite some time, and then my wife later noticed that the FM radio had bad interference when the lights were turned on. We are in an area of poor reception, and reception on the TV has been particularly poor recently, so I thought that might be related. However, a couple of days ago I replaced the driver with one designed for LED lights - and the reception is now fine. Could possibly be coincidence, of course - I didnā€™t try putting the old driver back to test.
I had also noticed that the TV (using Freeview) has recently been suffering from bad reception. This more-or-less coincided with buying and installing a Humax recorder. But one evening I turned the landing lights on (MR11, one LED and one Halogen bulb, original non-LED transformer), the signal to the TV disappeared altogether. Turned the lights off, signal returned, turned on again, no signal. We have an aerial amplifier in the roof, which may or may not be relevant. Yesterday I replaced the driver with an LED one, and the TV seems immune to turning the lights on or off. Still get signal breakup, though - not surprisingly.

For the last two years I have had white/coloured Philips Hue bulbs, lamps and light strips all over the house, with no discernible (to my ears) difference in Wi-Fi, or SQ in any of my hifi systems, radios etc. One bulb is 2 ft from my nac82, and I have two Hue Bloom lamps practically sitting on my speaker cables. No problem.

I have the Ikea smart lighting system, ā€œTradfriā€ depending on the lamp type it can colour change, change hue, brightness and on/off.
I am not aware of any obvious issues relating to sound quality of my system since installation. I am guessing that it is CE marked and that it is electromagnetically compatible with all other CE marked devices.

Having said that it seems from some of the threads in this place many go out of their way to talk down the importance of standards even to the point of considering them unnecessary.

Get thee to a Brexit thread!

The CE Mark indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold within the European Economic Area.
Its a self certification process & can be relied on if manufactured within EEA.
I would have thought however that Ikea would have a verification check as part of their purchase contract.

Yes I use Hueā€¦ and they are low noiseā€¦ they wouldnā€™t work if they werenā€™t in certain parts of the radio spectrum as they use the very low powered and sensitive Zigbee wireless control protocolā€¦ the same that is used for the remotes on the new streamers.
A noisy device here would probably wipe Zigbee out.
Therefor any device that can be controlled by Zigbee is probably a good bet.
Itā€™s a bit like a high speed VDSL broadband routerā€¦ if it was noisy it would impact the broadband speed quite negatively. Superfast VDSL is very sensitive to electrical noiseā€¦ possibly even more so than audio in some circumstancesā€¦ other than your VDSL network line in your house should be using twisted pair.

Now a few years back the EU watered down the U.K. EMC standards for certain devices much to the then consternation of some usā€¦ I even belonged to a pressure group lobbying Ofcom to challenge itā€¦ but alas the EU over ruled in favour of consumable electronics commercials over domestic low noise pollution ā€¦ be interesting to see as things play out whether it gets reversedā€¦ I suspect not as the genie is out now. Seemingly very low noise only appears now for the most part in consumer land if it would otherwise damage the functioning of the device.

The mark also confirms conformance with the Low Voltage Directive and the EMC Directive. These would require laboratory testing to determine the level of compliance.

I used to work for BSI :slight_smile:

That would seem to me to be very much in the spirit of CE marking. Everything has to conform to a set standard, but the standard doesnā€™t necessarily need to be high, and in many cases can be set by the manufacturer at a level of their own choice.

That may well be the case, but the bottom line is the CE mark is a self certification process.
I was involved as a consultant in the CE process in my old company checking all electrical outside OEM products. We verified they conformed to ISO & used TUV & BSI for assistance as required.

Unfortunately it was (2014/35/EU) and (2004/108/EC) before where it all went wrong and a flood of devices increasing the RF noise floor were allowed to be consumed in the EUā€¦ in essence, and slightly simplified, if the equipment is designed to radiate then itā€™s covered by the Radio Equipment Directiveā€¦ if it is not designed to radiate but radiates as a side effect it is covered by a looser set of EMC standardsā€¦ despite it radiating as it it were radio equipmentā€¦ and this is what we were challenging but were over ruled by the EU.

The EMC conformity under the CE marking is entirely self declared and is in my opinion far too weakā€¦ my view is the only real incentive to comply is if your EM radiation would damage the operation of your equipment, or the electromagnetic disturbance would affect the operation (not necessarily performance) of other equipmentā€¦ or you were needing to meet other requirements for other markets.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.