Legacy users unite! How do you modernize your streamer?

As time goes by, legacy streamer like my nd5xs are oh so old, I barely can‘t use it any more. After 4 years of use! That‘s exaggerated, surely I still use it and its great sound makes me happy.

Some of us say the legacy streamer are made just to stream from a hard disk, and they do. But four years ago there was internet already! And streaming from the internet is of course what our legacy streamer should be able to. They do not concerning Qobuz.
I absolutely agree with Naim that I can‘t complain that the new Naim devices make a better sound. Just have to buy a new one.
Stop moanin‘.
Looking ahead.
What do you do to upgrade, to modernize.
Do you connect a Bluetooth adapter? Which one? How?
LAN Filter?
New dac?
Tell us how you make your legacy streamer future proof.

Use BubbleUPnP on my Mac and stream Qobuz via Linn Kazoo to my ND5XS.

1 Like

Today I discovered I can stream flac internet radio at 44.1khz to my 272 via Sky Q box :joy:

1 Like

I use Roon with my legacy streamer (NDS) with a bridge doing the bit in the middle. With Roon there is no need to upgrade further as long as Roon keep going and developing their platform which they certainly seem to be doing currently.

5 Likes

Roon and a SonicOrbiter Bridge (or one of the software/Pi solutions).

Why I never bought into the classic Naim streamer line - just didn’t seem like good VFM considering how quickly this tech is changing. My 1971 160BD on the other hand…

2 Likes

I use Mconnect which streams Qobuz to my Unitilite without any issue.

Sure it’s a work around but work it does.

1 Like

Roon. And a raspberry pi plus hifiberry digi hat.

4 Likes

Lumin U1 Mini and Roon into my 272. Wonderful.

1 Like

Then thing is, whatever function you brought your ND5XS for, should continue doing that for many more years. Which is the same as the Amp you brought, and speakers. I think that is the best way to look at it.

Of course technology moves on with streamers unlike Amps(ish) so I suppose it’s natural to try and squeeze a little more out of it - especially if you are a member of this Forum :blush: . I personally see sources (CD/Streamers/TV/etc) as long term consumables, in that it’s almost expected to change them after some years, but your main body (Pre/Amp/Speakers) remains firms, and solid and dependable.

1 Like

Since I only to local streaming, I’ve not lost or been denied any functionality I want.

But hypotyeticlly, if sound quality isn’t an issue, add a streaming transport and use the ND * as a DAC. It’s a shame they don’t have ASIO USB input. Then adding a micro PC would be dead simple and cost effective.

2 Likes

To modernize my legacy streamer, I use

• the sonore upnp bridge to roonify my NDX,
  • the logitech harmony hub and the deepharmony extension to adjust
    volume (supernait) inside the roon app,
  • the microsoft surface dial and the roodial extension to adjust
    volume with a real dial sitting on my coffee table
  • the appleTV app tv:remote, so I can whatch on my TV, what my
    NDX ist playing.
1 Like

To stay with Naim products to get latest streaming functionality going from nac272/nap 250 I think my choices are new uniti, nait + ndx2, ndx2+Naim pre amp + power supply+existing nap, wait for new streaming preamp :joy:
Current work round is Sonos connect.

And anybody using Bluetooth equipment ?

My NDS makes everything sound so good that I’ll be keeping it and just adding a ND5 XS2 to it to bring it up to current spec when qobuz is available in Canada. Till then my iradio and ripped CDs on the NAS are perfect. I have a USB with MP3s on it that I stick in the front, and it sounds great as well. So really, I’m just waiting for Qobuz before I bother getting the ND5 XS2.

3 Likes

Audio wise I am happy and content with my 172 streaming FLAC files from my Qnap NAS running MinimServer.
Security and technology wise, I keep my eye on updates and attend to “issues” as they arise which is thankfully not very often.

That looks nice. I added a cheapie node2i and found it better than the streaming section of the 272. Mine is bare with no XPS.

I disabled the upnp input and unplugged the 272 Ethernet cable as well which was another uplift.

1 Like

Try Volumio with RaspberryPI you can build one with a good digital output to go into the NAIM dac from HiFiBerry and do Qubuz and any new functionality you might want. I still am flabbergasted they have not updated the 272 yet…

2 Likes

So, what is the Problem with our legacy streamer?
Hardware? Then all the other legacy streamer of Linn & co have the same problem. Do they?
I‘m happy about my nd5xs. From my Nas HDD it plays 24bit pieces.
A software on the Nas emulating a HDD would be the solution (qobuz in - HDD out). Naive?

I’ve got Bubble UPnP Server running on a Raspberry Pi4. It provides Qobuz to my 3 legacy devices (NDS, Uniti and UnitiQute 2) as well as transcoding to .WAV

Control is Bubble UPnP running on my phone. Only thing I miss is not being able to pause a track, it will only resume from the beginning of the track.

3 Likes

3 Likes