Leslie Phillips RIP

Sadly I read that the great stalwart of radio, TV and film Lesley Phillips has died aged 98

Remembered fondly for many roles including an incompetent Royal Naval Officer in the Navy Lark and a talking hat :tophat: in Harry Potter

7 Likes

“Left hand down a bit, Chief”.

“Left hand down a bit it is, sir”

7 Likes

Ah, the Navy Lark!
That and Clitheroe Kid were a childhood radio staple.

8 Likes

That is very sad, but an incredible age. Ding Dong!

5 Likes

I say

2 Likes

Rather…

2 Likes

In a remarkable display of foresight, last week my YouTube account ‘recommended for me’ the full film ‘The Fast Lady’ which stars Leslie Phillips, Stanley Baxter (still with us at 96), Julie Christie (still with us at 82) and James Robertson Justice, who left us in 1975.

1 Like

I saw him in this

and true to type he married his now widow at the age of 89.

Ding Dong.

5 Likes

Not many people realised he was the sorting hat in the HP films although he would have been watched by countless millions. A great actor with much wider range than given credit for. Although I can’t resist signing off with…

“Hellooo. Spot of jam. “

3 Likes

IMG_0784
RIP Leslie.

5 Likes

A few observations.

Leslie Phillips: Carry On and Harry Potter star dies aged 98 Leslie Phillips: Carry On and Harry Potter star dies aged 98 - BBC News

1 Like

A good sort sort indeed……rather👍

Right hand up a bit.

1 Like

I keep thinking Stanley Baxter passed away a long time ago.

Life long Spurs fan… for his sins.
God bless him.

COYS

1 Like

Truth be told, if I’d been playing ‘Dead or Alive?’ before yesterday and someone had offered up Lesley Philips, I’d have assumed the former…

Me too. I thought Stanley was long gone.
Glad if he isn’t so long as he’s healthy and happy.

1 Like

He’s had a good innings but will be sadly missed, not least for his incredibly expressive voice.
Who else could have made a simple phrase like “Ding Dong” sound so suggestive?
Rest peacefully Leslie.

3 Likes

I would have said alive, his passing would attract attention.

You don’t know how many famous actors / actresses are in homes waiting for God, or how many have retired and are enjoying their pensions and repeat fees.

A friend just told me that Jim Dale is the only “Carry On” left now. He could be right.

1 Like