Leslie Phillips RIP

She may still be alive.:wink:

And, co wrote the hit song ‘Georgy Girl’. I’m afraid I’ve never had any talent for entertainment!

1 Like

Stood next to him for a short while at Wimbledon about 17 years ago. He was exactly how you’d want and expect him to be, and dressed immaculately.

3 Likes

We also saw his ‘Falstaff’ in The Merry Wives of Windsor at Stratford in 1996 , our second visit.
He simply played Leslie Phillips, complete with all the catch phrases, including ‘Left hand down a bit…’ & was marvelous in the part, unquestionably the star of the show.

Whilst waiting for the start in my seat I was alarmed by two suspicious looking men in suits sat at either end of our row. I became more than a little alarmed when one of them moved & revealed he was wearing a shoulder holster. Don’t worry, said my wife, ‘they’ll be actors who will emerge on to the stage from the audience’.

She was wrong. They were armed body guards. As the lights went down a familiar face walked along the row in front of us & sat immediately in front of us. It was (the then) Prince Charles on a private visit to the theatre. We saw him in the interval on the rooftop bar taking & laughing his head off with Leslie Phillips who was obviously still in full Falstaff costume!

However, like quite a few here my lasting memory of LP will always be as Sub-Lieutenant Phillips from the Navy Lark, still one of the very best BBC Radio comedies.

5 Likes

Yeah, I went with the OP

Seem to recall, though could be wrong Jim Dale wrote the lyrics and also it was one of Dusty Springfields brothers that wrote the music.

Yes, that is my understanding too. It’s such a great song I wonder if they wrote others, but a film career clearly called for Jim Dale.

I wish the title could be corrected. Lesley is a woman’s name, it should be Leslie.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Done, thanks for pointing out

1 Like

He played some non-comic character parts later in life. Including Mr Maxton in Spielberg’s Empire of the Sun

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.