Less funds, new plan, no plan?

As some of you have read. I lost some cash because of a fraud. To be exact 2175€. Well, lesson learned. Since I sold my 202/200DR and NAPSC I have an NDX and aHicap DR. This means no music through my lovely Spendor D9s.

So it seems some pieces are missing. What would you have done to remedy this situation, something with the source and an integrated. Perhaps an XS2 or SN2? Or save money and live in a silent retreat for who knows how long?

Kind of got put off by this and am trying to keep expenditures at a minimum but still getting something that would make my speakers sound right.

Simples. A sh Nac 72 and Nap 140. Give a ring to some dealers. Hicap dr works very well with a Nac 72.

2 Likes

As the D9s are really too much for a 202/200, a Nait XS or a Supernait, I’d sell them and get a Supernait and some more modest speakers of your choice.

2 Likes

An SN2 second hand would be fine and not so far from 202/200. The day you will buy better electronics you will sold the SN2. And until that day you will not be privated from music.

3 Likes

With those speakers, and if the room is not too big, honestly, I would take advantage of the pull of the model change to make me with a well-treated (exdemo) SN2; you’ll probably be surprised and you don’t need anything else.

2 Likes

@Ardbeg10y a 72 and partnering amp would be hard to come by here in Sweden. Someone is selling an 82
@newcomer @frenchrooster that is a thought and maybe focus on the source too. Don’t really know what would be the most sensible to do
@anon4489532 I wont be selling my speakers any time soon. Possibly one of the best pairs I’ve ever heard and definitely the best I’ve owned. They are also quite expensive why it would mean loosing even more money.

The SN2 with the HiCAP. And it will respond well to future source upgrades which will reward both the amp and the speakers. Good luck.

4 Likes

Lucifer, I would look for a used SN2 which is a natural pairing for your NDX 2 and the HiCap DR will go nicely with your SN2. With a lot of people trading in to move up to the SN 3 you may be able to find a good deal, from a NAIM dealer.

I have been using a SN2 for a couple of years now an enjoy it with my NDX 2 and I’m sure it will get you through this rough patch until your financial situation improves.

Best of luck…

4 Likes

I would go for a vintage Naim amp, such as an olive or CB NAP250. Why? Because your speakers need all the help they can get, and this makes a 250 much more affordable.
Then look for a preamp, such as a 32, 42 or 72, which would work nicely with your Hicap. Or maybe an 82, for a little more money.
With a little patience I reckon you could get an amp which would drive your speakers much better than a newer NAIT for under £1500, which is less than the going rate for a used Supernait 2.

3 Likes

That would be sweet. I never heard any of the vintage models but there is a 32 with a 120 for sale. Its been serviced 2014 for the nac and 2016 for the 120. Selling for 641£.

I love the look of the CBs

1 Like

You have a world to discover then! I was having the black boxes, and my wife and I agreed on something having a retro look for the living room. I never thought that I actually enjoy the olive range more than the newer black range. Now have them both. Especially liked the synergy with vinyl I suddenly understood where these weird words like prat and foottapping came from.

Chris makes a comment about a 250 being better able to drive your loudspeakers and that is very true. I got my 72 from a helpful U.K. dealer. I first contacted them because I saw a nice listing for a 62/140 and I contacted them. It was just gone, but a week later I got an offer from them that they had a 72/140 now. Very good and helpful and a competitive price. Given your recent experience, I would go for sure and contact a few of these dealers.

2 Likes

Yes I too think a dealer would be wise. I do wonder if the 250 is mandatory? Are there other options in the old line ups that would be sufficient?

1 Like

There is a NAC 82 for sale. It includes NAPSC and has an mm riaa fitted. I have the Hicap DR. Would this be a good choice? Volume control doesn’t work with remote. I don’t know anything about service history. Asking price 640£

I ran an 82 for 25 years with one olive Hicap and the original NAPSC, it was a fantastic pre. Definitely a sweet spot in the old range for me.

3 Likes

Spendor D9s are very easy to drive and any half decent source and amplifier will play well through them. I would keep them and sell the NDX or part exchange for one of the new Naim platforms such as the Naim Nova or even Atom, a Linn Selekt would be another great option as Space Optimisation V2 works really well with D9s.

The alternative would be to buy some second hand olive Naim kit as suggested by @Ardbeg10y.

@Lucifer, keep those Spendors, they are fantastic speakers.

In case you were wondering, my speakers are Spendor D9s. I would go to a Spendor dealer who also stocks Naim kit and have a listen. Whilst I agree a NAP250 would be a great choice, if it is not within budget then NAP140 would still be excellent. You need to hear before you buy though.

2 Likes

Assuming you retain everything - What is your cash budget?

G

As Chris pointed out an older 250 would be the best choice for the price of an ex demo or used SN2 you can purchase an 82 / 250 plus you already own the HiCap, bonus!

1 Like

If the Nait XS is almost the same as XS2 in sound quality, personally the Nait XS2 is a downgrade from the 202/200 in areas of transparency and detail. You get a lusher, warmer and less detailed sound with the Nait XS, and if you prefer this sort of sound signature the Nait XS2 will be better than the 202/200.

1 Like

Budget is difficult. I kind of have to make a stand regarding that, but haven’t. Maybe around 1600-1700£ total.

I would go 82/Hicap/250 if you can stretch to it.

If you can’t but are close then you could trade the Hicap DR you have for a matching olive Hicap and you would probably release £400 which would probably make this doable.

The Spendors may be easy to drive but they require a highly capable source and amplifier to function as they should. I would say the 82/Hicap/250 is a minimum. The advice to sell and rebalance is sound but I can understand why you wouldn’t want to do this.

If you are happy with the olive range then you can always move to 135’s at some point which your Spendors will love.

1 Like