Life Before Naim

.sjb

10 Likes

I’d had hifi since 1980.
But I had stupidly vowed never to read a hifi magazine when I was 16 and read one and didn’t like it.

So I Knew nothing about hifi, and mainly owned Marantz, a Rotel turntable, then Rega Planar 3, KEF speakers, etc.

Then after I got a job at BT I eventually bought a Naim CD5i, 112x, 150x, Arivas.

Then I stumbled onto the old forum 3 years ago.

This bloke called Bob with a Rasta icon advised me to upgrade my Rega.

Some other fishy chap insisted I sell everything and get a 272.

And a lady called Debs suggested I get a vintage Naim pre with no remote.

So then I broke my vow and did a bit of research…

3 Likes

I guess journey started in my teens with a reel-to-reel B&O tape recorder. It had a lid which split into a pair of speakers. No idea of the model number or name or if it counts as hifi.

First separates system was my student setup: a Rogers valve amp, with Garrard deck and Celestion Ditton speakers with metal grilles – 21st birthday present.

Then many years where family and career took precedence.

Final pre-Naim system was a pair of Musical Fidelity MA65 class A monoblocs into KEF reference speakers, fronted by Meridian CD transport/DAC/Digital preamp. Still hear that occasionally as my son now uses it.

And then, one day, prompted by a review by one A Everard sometimes of this forum, wandered into local Naim dealer to hear new Uniti but came out with CD5XS, Nait XS and Kudos speakers and the damage was done!

Roger

standard separate amp and tuner (really Sony/superscope) amp fizzed out just after the warrantee -so with the markdown price upon purchase being less than it would cost to fix, another $25. got me a Kenwood Ka-2500 amp, also original was a stunning garrard 40 b tt, liberty phone 100 house brand speakers. Changes - dual, tt, then Thorens td -145,rega 3, linn lp-12 speakers - small advents, mission 710, snellj2,meadowlark shearwater,harbeth m30.1 separates to Yamaha cr-820, then tandberg 3011 tuner,apt/holman pre and hafler xl 280,classe dr-5 also tandberg Tcd-340(cassette) ,naim 202/200 now 282hcdr/250dr also ndx2 about to add Rega Aura to lp-12, and karousel,lingo4 . Think that’s most of the changes over the years.

I’ve always had a hi fi of some type since I was 20. Had a few different setups, including a big old and wonderful Marantz receiver and a NAD 3020 amp (second best setup). Had several turntables including Rega before going all digital in the mid 80s. The most interesting bit of kit was a Caver CD player. It cost me a lot of money (which I probably didn’t have) and it had to be replaced a few times, when it worked it was brilliant.

My first real hi-fi after hearing a Nait 1 was a Thorens TD 160/Linn Basik, a Sugden A25 and a pair of B&W DM 110 with Target Audio stands. Could not afford a Nait, so Sugden was the next best thing for me at that time. A simpler time…

Before Naim

1969: Garrard SP25 Mk2 - Shure M3D - Sinclair Project 60 modular amp (Stereo 60/z30/PZ5) - DIY speakers Eagle FR8 fullrange driver.

1970: Upgraded amp z50 power amps, PZ8/higher power transformer.

1971: Upgraded speakers, DIY using KEF B139/Eagle FR8/Kef T15

1971/2: Thorens TD150 / TP13 - Shure M75E.

1973: Further upgraded amp, bridged z50 + oversize outboard transformer.

1975/6: Changed speakers: IMF TLS 50ii.

1977: Changed amp: Radford HD250.

1978/9 Changed cartridge: Coral 777EX MC + DIY MC head amp stage (Elektor magazine) + changed headshell & TT mat.

1986: Changed arm & cart, Rega RB300/AT-OC7(I think), beefed up TT plinth.

1989: Cambridge CD2

1990: Changed speakers for their big brother, IMF RSPM (secondhand)

1992: Changed amp to MF The Preamp 2A + MF P170 power amp (secondhand)

2000: Changed CD player to Shearne Audio Phase 7

2008: Changed preamp to Tag McLaren PA10 (secondhand), power amp to MF P270

2010: Abandoned vinyl, after ripping to CD, selling TT.

2013: Abandoned CD, bought Naim ND5XS (ex-dem) + NSA325 NAS

End of life before Naim!

[With Naim:

2014: Added Naim XP5XS (ex dem), one month later sold XP5XS and bought Hugo DAC

2015: Changed NAS to Mac Mini (secondhand) running Serviio

2015: Replaced ND5XS with Audirvana on the Mac Mini + Gustard USB isolator/converter. ]

Some dates give or take a year.

1 Like

It’s impressive that there are detailed portfolio showing equipment owned here. I cannot recall the gear I have owned, the year where the gear was bought and sold before getting into Naim. Here are some and there may be few missing in the list ;

Arcam, Classe, Plinius, Audio Research, Audible Illusions, Sony, LFD, Macintosh, Nagra, CEC, Marantz, Sonic Frontiers, Rega

I cannot recall the exact dates but I still have a manila folder that contains most, if not all of the hand written invoices of the various turntables, cartridges, amps, trade-in and upgrade deals, cables and accessories purchased over the last 35 + years. I should take a screenshot, if I can find the folder !

I still have my 80’s system. Rega Planar 3, Arcam A60 and Alpha 7SE CD player with Acoustic Research speakers. Recently framed some of my old favourite picture discs to relive my misplaced chaildhood.

6 Likes

I moved to LA from Hong Kong and have my prior system in storage there. Bought a Muso to hold me over until I shipped all my HK belongings. Musu became an Atom with Harbeth P3’s. Atom became a Nova. Nova added a 250DR. Then a Roon Nucleus+. Then Harbeth C7’s and Finally Harbeth 30.2 40th Anv. Then a Rega Planer 8. It will not stop.

So last full system In storage in Hong Kong: Cayin Components-100T amplifier, SC- 5LS Pre-amp,Phono-1, Ha-1 Headphone Amp; VPI Classic; Shanling T1000 SACD, Stello DAC; ProAc Response DT8s; Isotek Mains, Transparent Audio Speaker Cables (Biwire) Van Der Hull phono cables, Chord interconnects; DIY Apple Mini Music Server.

Still love that system.

Hifi

2016 - today:

Digital System

Naim ND5 XS / Supernait / CD 5i + B&W 804 d2 + NAC A5 + Tellurium Q Black Din + Tidal Hifi

Analog System

Rega RP3 TAD Edition / TTPSU / Exact + Naim Nait XS / Stageline N + B&W CM7 + Finite Elemente Pagode + Inakustik Black+White

Headphone System

B&W P7/P5/P3 + Audioquest Dragonfly Red / Golden Gate + Lake People G111

2012:

Naim Supernait / CD 5i + B&W CM9

Rotel CD Receiver RCX 1500 + B&W CM7

2006:

Onkyo A1VL / Dx7555 + Project Debut + Ortofon OM20 + B&W CM7

1996:

Marantz PM 62 / CD 52 + Denon DRM 800 / TU 215 + Technics Sl BD 20 + MB Quart 1000

1986:

Denon PMA 250 + Sony CDP M27 + Telefunken RC 200 + Jamo J-50

My first system was a Hitachi belt drive turntable, cheapest one they made.
The magnificent Hitachi HA-330 45wpc amplifier was the heart of the system.
The wonderful JBL L-16 bookshelf speakers with home made angled 1 foot tall speaker stands completed the system.
It lasted me 9 years 1978-1987

2 Likes

1979:

Dual 604 Direct Drive Turntable
Pioneer receiver
JVC cassette deck
Mission 720 speakers
Zerostat (still in use)

1 Like

I had ARC ref40 pre and ARC ref250 power amps driving ProAc Carbon 8. Naim was recommended to me much earlier as a match for the ProAc but I was put off by the DIN plugs and power supplies. Went to a friend’s place to listen to his setup consisting of the same Carbon 8 with full set of Naim 500 series. No turning back after that.

A little embarrassed to confess that currently, I own most of the classic series pre / power combo up to the 252/250 some DS others not. The only amp which I do not own is the 500 / 500DS.

I had a philips cd101 which went wring after the warranty ran out, technics amp and tuner into Acoustic research bookshelf speakers, cables…bell wire. Then went on to the naim amps but with Arcam 170 cd transport and deltec pdm dac.

Wow, I’m amazed you can list so much with so much detail. Do you keep a journal?

Loads of stuff in hybrid systems up until the mid 90’s when I built a 9 (I think) box Cyrus system with Mission speakers.

Nait 3 plus CD3 was the first step away from Cyrus in late 90’s.

G

My first record player was a Dansette (1973), then a Ferguson radio record player. Since then an array of budget kit, too many to remember.

Surprisingly my Ferguson still ranks as one I enjoyed a huge amount.

I now have a Unitilite/Linn 109 and Muso, both are splendid.

I’m auditioning new kit this week Linn Majik, Star and Nova. I expect them to be good and better than the lite but a change isn’t a forgone conclusion.

I recently received an old B&O tangential turntable which is not world class at 35 years old (if it ever was), but does a brilliant job of helping me enjoy records again. It reminds me that newer, more expensive doesn’t always mean more enjoyment.

A year ago I heard an Atom and Neat Iota Alpha which just got my foot tapping, similarly I heard a Naim system costing tens of thousands, it was great, insight, clarity, power etc, but I did not tap a foot.

1 Like

Like many on the forum, life before Naim consisted of a Rega Planar 3 turntable, an A&R Cambridge A60 amp and a pair of Acoustic Research AR A60 speakers.

2 Likes