Life outside of Naim?!

Yes, that’s true. Higher refinement with less money though this is usually with lower powered amps. More money usually gets you higher power whilst retaining the refinement.

I heard a Tom Evans Linear A, with the recently introduced variable feedback turned down to near minimum, a bit over a year ago. It was playing into Audionote E something or other, not the base model. I found it more to my taste than some of the Audionote amps. Stick a Townshend Allegri in front and you could have something quite interesting, with the right valves.
The Grandinote amps look interesting too, I’ve not heard any but the idea appeals, something to investigate if Naim weren’t keeping me satisfied.
Both of these put out a bit of heat, being class A 25W amps so maybe not so good in a Montpellier summer without aircon and neither seems a likely candidate to drive NBLs so it would have to be more than an amp change.

1 Like

On the main system, I started with the speakers, until I found that the ProAc K6 suited wonderfully to the peculiarities of the room and its room modes. I had quite a few fights with Naim’s integrated ones, both with Supernait 2 and especially with Supernait 3. By an aesthetic, functional and maximum simplicity as possible criterion, from the beginning I derailed the separated from any brand, and my goal was an integrated amplifier solvent with the speakers, musical and refined.

Finally I ended up with a Musical Fidelity Nuvista 600, 220 W in 8 Ohms hybrid double monophonic, with which I am increasingly satisfied: a sound less forward, or ‘in the face’, than Naim, but equally fast and dynamic, and much more articulated, nuanced and refined; and on the front end the superb NDX2. The Musical Fidelity statement series, both the NuVista 600 and the NuVista 800 are definitely worth putting on your shortlist.

If I were now in the situation, I would also consider the new Technics SU-R1000, in its statement level: reviews and opinions are excellent, even some place it in quality and sound above the Mark Levinson 585; with a complete quality DAC and a high quality MM and MC phono pre and still unbeatable price.

Finally, there’s no reason to spend £10k, less so just as things come ahead…

3 Likes

It seems some of us are interrested in:

• either finding the right naim amp and pre also able to get into rich harmonic sound stressing émotion (but perhaps does it depend on the association with the right speakers?)
  • or finding a valve or Class A amp (not sure of the difference between both) which would also capable of PRAT.
    Do such items exist?

Have a McIntosh pre and power combo on home demo at the moment. I wasn’t expecting too much given the amount of abuse the brand gets online from some quarters, but I’m blown away by it.

Has brought music to life in a way that combines the best of that live music dynamism and a slightly warm valve signature (although both pre and power are both solid state).

No great fan of the styling, the U.K. price compared to US shows you’re paying huge import/distribution costs and it’s very very heavy, but it’s playing very nicely with my NDX2 and LP12. I’ve been trying various phono stages on demo recently and the built in one in the C49 pre-amp knocks everything I’ve tried thus far out of the park.

Am now seriously considering a Naim/Linn source combination with McIntosh amplification.

Would reduce the number of boxes from the planned 282/250 or 252/300 upgrade step and still deliver excellent phono and headphone support.

Anyone else running McIntosh in their system?

3 Likes

Serviced 52/Supercap (or even better, a 52PS) & a pair of NAP135s + a great deal of change?

Just a thought…

2 Likes

I have gone SN3, then with HC; to 282/SC2/250DR, now 252/SCDR/250 DR with NDX2/XPS-DR. A 300DR would be a nice touch but the 252/250 works very well.
A Hi-Line & WitchHat interconnects have helped,
NB standard Burndies in case there is a traffic warden out.

An alternative for me would be a s/h Vitus SIA025.

Chord Choral range too ‘unpretty’ to be allowed in the house.

1 Like

I have Accuphase E600, NDX2 and just added Piega Coax 711 speakers. Absolutely fantastic combination, I am not sure it can get much better … You will certainly not regret E650

I really like it. Just one slim box along with an NDX2 as a digital source/hub. I use it with Shahinian Compass speakers and it works very well. A slightly different presentation to Naim but a lot of fun and very easy to live with. Just add a second amp for more power, or with suitable speakers (Eg Kudos Titans) go active.

I expect I will move back to Naim amplification eventually but I’m in no rush at the moment. No other brands really appeal to me.

1 Like

What gives you that feeling?

Just a very long association with the brand - I like the way they sound and the way the company operates. The long life and serviceability of the amps is the icing on the cake. As I said, I’m very happy with my present choice but when it’s time to move on and that 500 series integrated is available…

Thanks for all the replies all - it’s given me a LOT of food for thought…

Given I’m also committed to changing my speakers there are many variables at play but decided to sort the amplification first and then move onto the speakers so that can wait for another day.

Listening rooms re-open on April 12th so I’ll get some comparisons going.

1 Like

Hi,
I have an NDX2 and decided to take a McIntosh MA352 which is an hybrid integrated tube (pre) and solid state (power) amplifier. I love the mix of an the high tech NDX2 and the more traditionnal amplifier. I have been upgrading from a Rega Mira3. Currently looking to replace my Totem staff before upgrading with an XPS DR.
Jean-Luc

At £8,495 it should be a significant upgrade from the Rega Mira3. It looks wonderful too.

which model?

:joy:

Hi,
I don’t see the Vertere on your profile. Have you still it?
I see that you are a strong devotee to Naim and Focal :joy:, apart one component outside their offers ( AVM).

There is no life outside of Naim, it’s like the ‘Prisoner’ with Patrick Thingamy, and the balloons, for those of us of a certain age, lol.

1 Like

McGoohan.

Be seeing you (in Salisbury)…