Life’s little inexplicable mysteries

Richard, that link doesn’t work for me. I get the ‘Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private’. Searching doesn’t bring it up either. Maybe your greater privileges allow you to see what we cannot.

Yes, sorry, just had to move it briefly to review a post or two. Should be viewable now.

Yes it’s back, though initially saw posts that have actually now gone. I’m more confused than ever from reading @Alley_Cat ’s post because I can’t see that I’ve posted on the gin thread at all.

According to what I can see from the logs you haven’t posted on that thread.

Quite. Clearly they are just trying to confuse me. Which isn’t hard.

No, sorry it wasn’t you, couldn’t find the thread to check, it was @Innocent_Bystander here:

The local Sainsbury’s moved all the drinks aisles around a few weeks ago just to confuse everyone, and I ended up looking at the spirits aisle where the red wine used to be and found a very similar looking bottle of gin. Maybe old, or a different line?

A supermarket search online seems to show 2 gins with similar artwork.

Well, I could remember the image from the post but clearly not who posted it!

Looks like it closed 2 months ago. Odd as ‘gin’ in search for me only threw up a shorter thread from a few years ago and lots of non-specific mentions in other threads.

Just popped to the Brew Dog site - the ‘plain label’ version seems to be sold out and there are 4 gins available with a wolf like logo. Maybe a temporary labelling change?

Hi Richard, yes, could you please re-open, thanks. Not sure why some of us couldn’t find it yesterday, but no matter now!

1 Like

Opened for you IB. Probably one of a number of sometimes weird quirks of the platform!

2 Likes

Out of interest, what happened to this thread Richard?

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/cost-of-living-good-buys-tips-and-dis-loyalty-schemes/28392?page=12

Let me look into it. I seem to recall I had to quarantine due to some political comment that needed attention and, IIRC, something that I was awaiting a response on from a member.

1 Like

Why on earth in this day and age do banks with all electronic systems actually fail to process transactions on Bank Holidays or weekends for that matter?

There’s always a risk of a bill or payment being paid late when the payments are shunted by a day or two.

4 Likes

In the old days, when there were bank branches (you remember, surely - you went into a building where you could pay in or withdraw money, and there were actual real members of staff you could talk to), they had this crazy system where they opened after everyone had gone to work, closed over lunchtime when people could actually leave work for a little while, maybe to use a bank, then closed halfway through the afternoon before other people could clock off and go to the bank. One way or another, it seems that they would rather have nothing to do with we the customers.
Also, I suppose if you can’t put money in during the weekend and on bank holidays, it means you can’t clear your overdraft, so they get to charge you more.
Or am I just being cynical?

5 Likes

Or they can defer a payment and make a tiny amount of interest on your credit remaining a bit higher?

It all adds up, to the banks anyway!

1 Like

Woken early by an alarm going off somewhere in the street. It was tipping down with rain, so I looked out of the window but couldn’t work out where it was coming from. Got back under the duvet hoping it would be silenced. It continued. After 10 minutes I got dressed and as soon as I stepped out of the front door it stopped. Typical, still none the wiser.

That would have been my old XK8 then. Had a habit of the alarm going off but with nothing flashing. You could not tell where the noise from coming from - strangely omnidirectional. Then just when you thought you were getting somewhere, it would stop.

1 Like

And all Scotsmen wear kilts, get up at 5 to shoot the breakfast haggis, exclaiming “hoots mon”.

3 Likes

The haggis, like Nessie, is a wily beast!

2 Likes