Lighting for Indoor Photography 📸

I’ve got an old flatscreen TV downstairs waiting to be turned into one of these, a brilliant idea (no pun intended).

The fresnel lens in the screen evenly distributes light from a strip of LEDs around the inside of the frame. Get some flat spectrum LEDs and you’ll have light as close as possible to a naturally lit window:

1 Like

Thank you for all replies everyone. Here was I thinking that someone would reply with “I use this setup to great effect” but now it seems (like most things in life) that more research is required to evaluate all of the options on offer :relaxed:

1 Like

All the suggestions here seem reasonable, though suitability may depend on part on the type(s) of picture you want to take, e.g. still or action (you haven’t been specific and detailed about what you want to do, so it is a big much to expect a specific and detailed off-the-peg answer… Unless you’re going into it in a big way, your best choice is whatever causes you least cost to buy and least hassle to use and store.

Here’s details of when I last photographed cats indoors , which was with an SLR film camera, and attached flash gun, flash head pointing up at the ceiling, maybe 45°, and I had some decent pics, some static, a few of cats moving, e.g. jumping to catch something. Camera was a Practika PLC3, flashgun was something cheap, I can’t remember what. Film may have been anything from ISO 100–400.

Please scroll up about fifteen posts and you’ll see my reply to Jamiewwednesday.

I also have a flash but I haven’t got around to using it yet because it is not as simple as just point and shoot (there are so many settings etc). Do you have any examples from using your flash? :relaxed:

I’d learn how to use the flash and start experimenting and finding how various lighting setups affect the final result. Plenty of tutorials online to help you out and the good thing with digital is you can explore settings easily and see the results straight away.

2 Likes

You did give some more info, but not what the cats would be doing - just sitting, or moving around yawning, eating etc, or fact active like jumping. I assume if utube then you are videoing.

I have a few of the pics somewhere in albums in a cupboard - I’ll have a look when I have a moment.

1 Like

Off camera, studio style flash is not that hard to understand. One or two lights is all you need for 99% of things.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.