Lingo 1?

See JV’s posts above. Yes - and no. The intent was to help the Lingo - but it affected other items.

Here’s my Lingo 1:

Note the use of proper :stuck_out_tongue: resistors…
And here’s the mains input block.

The input filter is the big silver thing at the bottom.

1 Like

I found a link to this bit about the Lingo. It mentions filter a few times so I’m believing it’s a part of the design. Removing it might not be a great idea.

For anyone hunting for the LP12 Power Supplies page on Cymbiosis, its ‘hidden’.

Put - ‘lp12-power-supplies’ - into your Search Engine of choice… :expressionless:

(fingers crossed that RD is happy with this… :crazy_face: )

Ok… I’m off to the Naughty Corner then… :astonished:
Anyone else comming along…?

No mention of mains filter on Cym…

1 Like

Go for the Lingo 1. You won’t regret it. If you have any concerns about it just send it for a service.

5 Likes

You are correct… :expressionless:

But they do exist - and Darran at Class A recommends removing them, if the Lingo is to be used in a Naim system.

1 Like

So once sorted with class a did you see an improvement over Hercules ? Cheers :+1:

Thanks murmur. Yes o spoke with Darran on weds re servicing and he mentioned the filter. With that done is it a worthwhile investment over a Valhalla ? I’d prob be looking at 500 cheapest once serviced…. There’s the obvious improvement with the speed choice but anything else to get excited about ? Cheers :+1:

1 Like

Has your Valhalla has been serviced, recently…? That’s another option - which Darran can do for you.

I changed - as an upgrade - which was relatively inexpensive.

(I do not mind doing upgrades which are less than £1000. Above that, I do not generally go… :thinking: )

Thanks Ian. So have you any that have been traded in ?

Sorry…? What do you mean…?? Beware TOU.

Yes ironically I had it serviced 3 weeks ago so part of me thinks keep and enjoy. The other thinks sell with proof of service and have Darran service a lingo for me should I go that route.

2 Likes

Well, my Valhalla was serviced, before I ‘found’ the Lingo.

This is a piece of Linn kit, so I think I am OK here… You can buy Service Kits for the Linn Valhalla board on eBay - and they are not difficult to fit. That’s what I did.

Once I got my Lingo and confirmed it worked, I listed & successfully sold my Valhalla board, again on eBay.

1 Like

Apologies if I’m not supposed to ask re this. I’m fairly new here. I am considering one and looking online ….

1 Like

You will find some dealers have used Valhalla boards. Try the Cym place… Or maybe Darran…?

I actually sold mine for about £20 more than I paid for it, in 1982…!!

Darran serviced it 3 weeks ago so now considering keeping or swapping out for an external p/s … cheers Ian thanks for your input

1 Like

My V went for I think £76, plus P&P, on The Bay.

Which is more than the cost of the Diesel I needed, to get to & from Darran… :slightly_smiling_face:

I would suggest you start looking - slowly - for a good condition Lingo Mk1. If you find one, fine. If not… keep looking. I think it took the Cym place maybe 3 to 6 months to get one for me…?

95% of folks prefer the Lingo 1 to Valhalla, maybe more. That’s been the way since 1990. However, they both have their strengths to my ears and I don’t think I’ll ever part with my Valhalla/Ittok deck. If you primarily listen to modern digital recordings then I think the more tuneful and refined Lingo is a better fit. If you listen to a lot of 70s funk / soul / rock then you might be better off staying put. It comes down to personal taste at the end of the day, although the stats overwhelmingly suggest you will be happier with a Lingo, plus you’ll get your 45rpm :slight_smile:

1 Like