Linn Kan vs Naim IBL

Why do you think that can’t you run two NAP135s with NAC72/HiCap? (3401 may have chosen not to do so, but I infer that he meant that he couldn’t afford to do so.)

The NAC72/HiCap/NAP250 was a classic combo in its time - substituting two NAP135s for the NAP250 should be easy.

1 Like

Noted, I misunderstood.

No problem - I suspect that nicely serviced and recapped 72/HC/135s would sound at least as good as just about any pre/power amps that Naim have ever produced - as well as looking pretty marvellous!

4 Likes

I mean it’s strange to qualify where the gear stands but if I had to give a rating out of hundred I would very loosely rate my Naim setups as;

252/SC2/250DR 72
82/SC olive/ NAP 300 80
52/135 89
552DR/135 92
552DR/500DR 99

This is based only on my overall enjoyment of each setup and not technical abilities of each system etc. another factor that I’m completely omitting is the source and speakers with every setup so please take it with a pinch of salt

HiCap has multiple, 4-pin DIN outputs for either stereo or mono power amps. No reason why it can’t be connected to a pair of 135s. By the time the 135 existed, the HiCap was the only external power supply I believe.

I think that ICs like those for a NAP300 (dual mono) should be fine. But please experts confirm.

4 Likes

I own a set of Kans (27xxx ser nos) from 1985 to 1999. On Kan II stands.

Replaced with Royd Doublets, in 1990. Which were rather like refined Kans. And the same footprint - in all dimensions with maybe 5mm.

The Royds were replaced with Kudos X3’s in 2021… :slightly_smiling_face:

I had 72/135s, I upgraded to the 82/HC when it came out, I felt it a big step up for the already excellent 72 fronted system.

2 Likes

Hello, Eoin, I don’t think that I’ve ever heard an 82, but I will never change my own 52/S’cap. Sending them back to Salisbury for service and recapping is well overdue, though!

1 Like

So my search has come to an end and I’ve managed to snag a pair of Kan 1 speakers. I’ll keep you guys posted about my early impressions when I get them hooked up.

6 Likes

Hope you’ve got the right stands for them “crucial “ :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Yes I had already bought them. I anticipated I wouldn’t find a very clean example of the IBL so I focused my attention on the kan setup

2 Likes

Just thought I’d add a snap. I believe this is the santos rosewood finish. They are so gorgeous in the flesh.

18 Likes

With nait 1 - yeah….:heart_eyes:

1 Like

They look lovely!

I still love the Kan / LS3/5a proportions.

2 Likes

They deserves much more than a little Nait.

3 Likes

Yes they do - but it is a nice era match

2 Likes

I’ll test them with the nait one which is currently commissioned to the cinema room system with Rogers LS4.

However the actual system will be a Heed Obelisk DA, SW1x PRE, Naim NAP 135s. Linn K20 speaker cables

3 Likes

Thank you. It’s art. Perfect proportions.

I currently have the most gear I’ve ever owned at one time. I could actually build 3 complete systems and I have a couple of items still on order. I think I might have a problem. Does anybody know a good therapist?:flushed:

4 Likes

Enjoy ! :drum:
Who wants to be like everyone else.

2 Likes