Linn Klimax Organik?

Analogmusic,
Linn has been doing FPGA stuff for years like Naim and Chord .
There is plenty of fish in the sea for all to have a meal .
Enjoy your Chord DAC.

1 Like

Certainly if you have new Naim streamers and use Roon I’d strongly recommend the HAF (Home Audio Fidelity) service before I’d change hardware to one that has room optimisation purely for that option.

Thierry from HAF will make and tweak filters based on the measurements of your room which can be utilised through Roon. In the National m quanta of upgrades I estimate this has given me a 2x black box upgrade.

It proved revelatory to me that the many “issues” that I had treated with hardware were possibly room related most of the time. A little bit of DSP goes a long long way.

.sjb

7 Likes

To note, only filtering is implemented in the FPGA. IMO this is not a technically challenging arena (I’d expect a graduate with a few months experience to knock out a pretty reasonable LPF, interpolation and/or decimation function which are all we are talking about here). I think this is mainly a supply chain management move.

supply chain… with the massive cost !!!

It’s a shrewd move. £40’s worth of components for a delta cost of £15k. There will be a board spin every now and then as the Xilinx devices go EOL but that’s all.

Still , I’d like to audition one very soon

2 Likes

Well if Naim do introduce an all new streamer with posh new bells and whistles, I hope they come up with a name to outdo Linn’s.

How about the Orgazmik Klimax?

Could possibly fall foul of the ASA though.

1 Like

They had Armageddon in the past, why not Apotheosis?

1 Like

Think this thread and a few others highlight the need for Naim to deliver a new streaming pre amp and probably at 2 price points (2 price points minimum).

All their major competitors now offer a streamer/pre amp.

1 Like

These days? No chance. Give Linn enough time and it’ll … “arrive”. :laughing:

1 Like

My dealer carried out his threat and sent me a Klimax Exakt Hub on loan for a trial. I am in serious trouble now…

1 Like

You’ll have to tell us all about it. I expect you’ll be ok, its bound to be rubbish :0)
Good luck!

1 Like

Actually, and I’m not joking, the old Klimax DSM is rubbish by comparison. Before it had even warmed up it was obvious the 2021 model is on a completely new level. I couldn‘t believe the difference a new clock and power supply could make through my Katalyst active Akubariks. The sound stage, with instrument separation and detail has lifted a veil I didn‘t know was there before. Every instrument is clearly discernible in classical recordings. Jazz and blues musicians are right there with me in the room. Here, listening is effortless; however with more electronics bound mixes (say with Imagine Dragons) the sound is so analytical my wife wasn‘t sure if the massive quality improvement was a good thing at first. On poor productions you can hear the edits. I can‘t stop listening to music and have already pulled the trigger.

6 Likes

this this has me intrigued wonder if will work for my setup using ROON via my innuos zenith into DAVE DAC?

So the ~20000 EUR worth Linn Klimax Katalyst is suddenly ”rubbish” after they release the next generation? What a ridiculous statement.

We have one unit in Finland at the dealer and I’ve read one comparison of Organik vs Katalyst by a local audiophile (he had it in home demo). He had similar observations to those I’ve read from other forums but still decided to stick with the old Katalyst since it still sounds extremely good and didn’t think the difference was worth ~39000 euros (probably around 29000 when you give Katalyst in exchange). Let’s hope the upgrade module to other models has more reasonable price.

2 Likes

I’m so hoping that it cab be retrofitted to my KDS 3.

Folks often get excited and enthusiastic over upgrades and, to be fair, it’s always by comparison and just how things sometimes come across in the thrill of the moment. Best take with a large pinch of salt and, like you say, enjoy the great source you already own.

1 Like

If you don‘t believe me that‘s fine. The difference is substantial.

Not 20k EUR I am talking about the system hub which costs half as much and doesn‘t have a DAC.

I had my KDS as a KDS /0…it’s now at KDS/3 level. Each of the upgrades has been easily discernible, 2 --》was dramatic. If Organik raises the bar as much as has been described, it’s going to be out of this world. Fingers crossed for trickle-down.