Linn Klyde

Yeah, should be pretty good especially if there’s no other equipment on it.

Lightweight and stiff is the goal unless you get a Trampolin 2 fitted, and even then I might prefer the Lack or similar.

@Richard.Dane

Thanks for the advice. Re overloading the cards, my normal procedure is to get over-keen and plug in the Rega MM cartridge on the Thorens to see if it works. Now I won’t!!

Been clearing garage to move the LP’s and got first box out of shed. These look OK, not warped and surfaces looking like new.

Will set up LP12 with the CD system over the next couple of months and see how I get on.

Will any cartridge plug straight into a 252 and play?

There are no phono cards or stage inside the NAC252; it was designed with a powered AUX2 input to enable it to be used (and provide power) with a Stageline, Prefix or Superline phono stage. That should probably be your next step…

Thanks, I’ll discuss with my dealer of course when I am ready

I’m just trying out a lightly used Klyde. I’d read up on it and was therefore expecting a dull, plodding, heavy footed sound and that was exactly what I got until I changed the loading on the Superline from 100ohms to 560ohms (K-type loading) and it opened up considerably. The strong bass is still there but the mids are much nice and the treble seems very well judged. It’s a load sensitive cartridge for sure and I imagine that folks bad experiences of it are from incorrect loading. The spec isn’t helpful stating >50ohms.

2 Likes

Yikes! 100ohms would likely be horrible on the Klyde. As you have found, K loading works much better!

1 Like

That’s quite interesting…I became very despondent with the sound of my Klyde, all those years ago. Now I discover that a Linn branded cartridge could not have worked into my then Linn phono stage (Linto, fixed at 150 Ohms).

Any Linn phono would have been a disaster.

Kairn 150 ohms
Linto 150 ohms
ADSM 180 ohms
Urika 1 75 ohms

Also remember that the vast majority of phono stages without adjustable loading are around 100ohms fixed so its no wonder you hear words like ‘plodding’, ‘dull’ and ‘heavy’ in relation to the Klyde. At its best it gives a decent account of itself although as a mid-range cartridge, I’ve heard many many other mid-range cartridges that would better it and if you’d come to the Klyde from a Troika or one of the older Supex-made Linn carts, you’d probably feel short changed. Correctly loaded though and it isn’t the unlistenable disaster internet lore would have you believe.

2 Likes

I wished that I had known this at the time…I wish my dealer had advised me. I use a different dealer now.

My experience is the opposite, I replaced my Dynavector Karat with a Klyde B (don’t now if the B indicates it is a revised version or not). This using an Urika phono stage. To me it was more musical and easy to follow the different musicians etc.

AJK, if it is in good condition I would have a look at a lingo before spending more on a new MC cartridge. If you want to go with a more modest mm that’s another question.

The above is all great stuff. I’ll discuss with my dealer when the LP12 goes in.

Followed @Murmur 's link and contacted Linn. It was good news as they think the Klyde should still be OK after 20 years. Theire main concern was getting the LP12 serviced before I turn it on.

Over last few days have moved Vinyl from shed to shelving in garage. Think I have been very lucky. Shed hasn’t leaked and it looks like I have got into this project just in time. Bottom of some boxes were almost worn through with age/damp?? Opened the worst box and I have just got away with it.

IMG_6848 IMG_6850 IMG_6851 IMG_6853

2 Likes

Not perfect but most grime wiped off. Only now visible on one white album.

Vinyl inside all looks like new. Flat discs and shinny perfect groves.

Its good enough to go ahead and get the LP12 running again, then I can find out if possible hot temperatures in the shed have damaged the grooves in some way .

Linn must have had complaints…the B is definitely a second version

Which version of the Karat did you have?
Obviously results will be system dependant as well. Mine was with the version of LP12 as described with Naim amplification and speakers.
Also, Dynavector cartridges require a different loading to Linn, hence why I had my Prefix converted to S type.
K type is required for Linn cartridges. Play a Dynavector into a K type board and it sounds different/worse.

@AJK
Actually, if your happy with the Klyde, in terms of component heirachy I think you should consider the Karousel bearing before anything else

My LP12/Ittok are late 1984. I am hoping that like a classic car, the fact its untouched will one day mean its worth a fortune.

Have you heard the Karousel? Is it worth the cost??

It was a Klyde, seemingly the original version. It has transpired that it was not possible to achieve a satisfactory loading with the Linn phono stage. It was many years ago…I’ll put it down to experience!

I had a Karat 17 I think D2 (bought ~2007).

Looking at your photo I would recommend getting a record cleaning machine. As the records have been stored in damp conditions they may have mold in the grooves.
There are some relatively inexpensive wet clean machines on the market now.

Not yet, I ordered one but delayed due to lockdown, there is a separate discussion thread on it. The bearing is though the most important component in the Linn turntable heirachy.
When I get mine, as with all upgrades, I have an arrangement with my dealer to reverse the upgrade if I dont like although that’s never happened. Discuss with a decent dealer.