Linn LP12 Top Plate

Sorry…I now realize it is me that is wrong in not understand what order to put my linn upgrades on
I’m glad you know I did it wrong …so others will benefit from your experience
Anyway…back to listening to my crappy failure of a Rega …and I’ll let’s others consider what bit to bolt to their LP12 next and in what order
Ps…my choice of Rega has SAVED me money

I was just wondering why Linn haven’t done a top plate upgrade, my dealer does Stack Audio so one of their top plates was a consideration along with a Kore, Dynavector 20x and T-Kable.
As I already have Lingo 1 I hadn’t considered a Lingo 4. :blush:

I don’t have either but if I had an early Lingo, given the importance of the motor control in the Linn hierarchy, I’d certainly want to hear what a later one could do if I was considering splashing the cash.

Just an opinion.

1 Like

It’s worth a discussion with my dealer. It’s more that I wanted to spend for a now, largely secondary, source.

I would strongly recommend auditioning a Lingo 4 before anything else. It is completely different to an L1 and has technology trickled down from the Radikal.
I had a Lingo 3 and the 4 was genuinely jaw on the floor stuff.
Word of warning though, this led me to check out the Radikal, Keel and gave my wallet a caning! :joy:
Seriously though, do hear the L4, a good dealer ought to be able to fit one to your LP12 and let you audition it.
Linn probably haven’t felt that upgrading the top plate brings significant improvement or less likely that at present can’t better what’s out there from third party’s. Linn did make a prototype all in one machined from solid plinth/top plate but for whatever reason to date haven’t brought it to the market.

:grin:

If your looking at TP Kahn for example I think currently £800 and a dealer may charge extra to fit, your probably not that far away from the extra outlay for an L4, £1400. You might find your LP12 becoming not just a secondary source.
Just plonking a new top plate on a Majik spec before considering the fundamental isn’t likely in my view to get you much of a musical return.

1 Like

Interesting Crifo. I didn’t like the pre Cirkus sound and bought a Roksan instead back in the late eighties. Post Cirkus I rather like the Linn and bought one in 2016. I am delighted with it but respect others that choose a different path.

Stu

1 Like

I wasn’t thinking of spending anything like that on a top plate :frowning: It’d just be a Stack Audio one probably, if at all.I
Thanks for the L4 suggestion though that I hadn’t previously considered. :grinning:

I’ve not heard of Stack Audio, but if the price of the TP seems prohibitive then I will take the liberty of assuming they are cheap.
So to strongly reiterate my previous comment, plonking a cheap top plate on to your Linn isn’t likely to get you anywhere.
Why is it that your considering changing the top plate?

Of course, however I do take issue with some who get things wrong through their own mistakes then mislead others with unjustified prejudicial remarks about the company concerned.
That’s neither informative or helpful.

Not sure I have ever done that Dread (except perhaps where SBLs are concerned :sunglasses:). My Linn is all Linn and is top spec apart from my Radikal case. I love it, but others prefer other decks or say it’s too much cash. It’s all fine with me, it’s not a religion.

Stu

I was just wondering what people’s thoughts were that’s all. It was a Kore I was thinking of getting and I wondered why there was only third-party upgrades for the top plate.
The Stack Audio top plate is £450.

I do not denigrate the Rega RP8, I understand that it can seduce.

I had a RP8 / Apheta2 and I always thought it was rougher than the CDS, with a lack of weight on the music.

Currently, my LP12 delight me because it is old but well adjusted … these small defections are its charm :blush:

1 Like

My thoughts for what it’s worth would be to go Kore and stay with the Linn upgrade path if you upgraded at all. I have never been a fan of third party upgrades personally. In the same way that I only buy Naim power supplies rather than the alternatives. My Linn Naim system is exactly that, not diluted in any way. Suits me anyway…

Stu

2 Likes

A typical"if you don’t think linn is the best turntable your an idiot" and must have done something wrong
You have zero idea of my experiences or expertise with linn …but are more than happy to run down my experiences… despite me being the only person to give any feedback on the original question!
Offer some constructive advice by all means…but butt out from running others experience and opinions down

I think the general problem here (and it’s one I admit to falling foul of) is that a guy has £x in his pocket, and the next meaningful upgrade in the Linn hierarchy is £3x or so.

Many dealers are only too happy to sell you something for £x now, rather than £3x later.

1 Like

I think I should have stated that I was thinking of getting a Kore in the first place then maybe it wouldn’t have appeared that I’m on a mission to get a non-Linn top plate :grinning: It was a casual question and I tend to mull over things for a while anyway before I contact my dealer.
My Naim system is 100% Naim :blush:

1 Like

Mulling over is good. Your money, your system and the Kore is good and inexpensive in Linn World. Glad to hear you have undiluted Naim. Does that include speakers?

Stu

It did until last September when I sold my Credos of 15 years. I was sad to see them go really but my Spendor A7s are brilliant. :blush:

1 Like

Fair enough! I am clearly odd in that I always thought Naim speakers were their best products! Off to the loony bin for me then…