Linn LP12 vs SME 12A

Agree that the preamp is very important and can make a big difference, especially with a very good source already in place, but I’ve never heard the option with lesser source and better preamp sound more involving than the option with better source.

Lindsay gives you two more great choices but may I provide a different perspective?

The turntable, tonearm, cartridge and phono stage form a complex and very, very precise electro-mechanical system that needs real skill in set up to deliver its best. Few dealers still possess the necessary skills anymore.

So before choosing a turntable, I recommend finding a dealer in whom you really trust, then take their advice and audition what they recommend. You need the right dealer to get the best out of your chosen purchase.

Hope this helps, BF

3 Likes

Don’t forget that you can get a Rega Planar 10 with an Apheta 3 fitted. Take it out of the box, fit the counterweight, balance the arm and turn the tracking weight to 1.9g. Adjust the bias. Play some records. All done in 10 minutes. No dealer required and you have a deck that can happily take on anything up to £10k.

6 Likes

Another good option to audition from the right dealer.

I have taken my LP12 back to my dealer four times since 1990. Cartridges wear out on all decks and I am not technically confident enough to replace/align them myself, so I see this as necessary.

Once I get it home I am up and running within 10 minutes.

No different from other decks in my view.

3 Likes

Spot on Ravvie

Too much snake oil comments around the LP12

Treat it with care and everything is fine

5 Likes

Thanks RichardPW that’s good to know.

Thanks Bluesfan, a very good point. I’m going to do some research into my local dealers and their technical capabilities. I’m not technical myself, so I much prefer to let the dealer do their thing and then leave everything well alone!

Thanks hungryhalibut. The Planar 10 is also on my radar. I have a local dealer who can offer me a demo of the Planar 10 and the LP12 so it’s definitely worth a comparison.

Cheers Ravvie, it’s good to know that the LP12 is no different from any other deck.
I’m still unsure about the SME. There doesn’t seem to be much information out there - plenty of reviews of the LP12 but not many on the SME

I wasn’t particularly recommending the P10, rather responding to bluesfan’s comment that you need a good dealer to get the best from your turntable. With a Linn you certainly do, whereas with a Rega you certainly don’t. The setup of the Linn is critical to getting the best performance, but once set it should stay in tune for years. They don’t need constant fiddling as some suggest.

If you are sticking with the SN3, it’s probably wise not to go too bonkers on the deck. One thing that’s not mentioned in your profile is your speakers, and it’s important that they are good enough to show the benefit of your new turntable. They don’t need to be massively expensive, simply good enough.

Another thing to consider is which deck you want to interact with and to have to look at. The tiny little Rega with its high tech platter, but which some say doesn’t look like a proper turntable, the Linn with its classic looks, a Vertere with all that plastic, or the SME that looks like a set of kitchen scales.

3 Likes

@DaveN

I would firstly recomend a demo, I have to declare an interest here as I have owned an LP12 for 20 years - my dealer has just taken on Verterre decks also

just bear in mind the new upgrades from Linn with Radikal which are £1,750 but from what I have read and from my friends it is one great upgrade, in saying that Rad 1 is no slouch I own Akruate Rad

and as @Bevo mentions once set up the LP12 will deliver the music

enjoy the journey - post findings

2 Likes

Hi HH,
Let us not forget the oil rig turntables too!

Best regards, BF

That one ?

3 Likes

Ooh FR, I’ve not seen that one before.
I quite like the 3D additive manufactured tonearm.
The deck reminds me more of an offshore supply vessel than a rig but it’s close! I think it’s Avid that make the closest to an oil rig design. YMMV

Best regards, BF

1 Like

It’s the OMA one . The last big tt reviewed by M Fremer. 360 k.

1 Like

It may cost 360k but it still looks like a piece of crap.

7 Likes

…or an off shore James Bond villain’s base?

3 Likes

And the SME 12 like a raclette machine I guess

Yesss!!!