Linn LP12 vs SME 12A

Obtaining a balanced sound is unconnected to source first. If you compare two systems, the system with better source may or may not sound the most balanced. Source first is solely related to musical understanding, it’s nothing to do with the sound or balance, although it rarely leads to a badly balanced system. I agree you’re more likely to find a sweeter balance staying within certain Naim ranges and it will be less work to find something suitable, but ignoring the true breadth of source first may also prevent you from finding even more satisfaction.

There are some folk over in the Kabin who are very happy with that combination. So I guess it’s all a matter of taste and preference.

Mr Chicken Bonjour. I know I have argued that for the person who wants to best exploit a Nova they should seek out the best speakers it will comfortably drive and the room will accommodate, but equally the SN3 user should seek out the best source component that fits their budget. In this respect a Klimax or ND555 isn’t going to be a big mistake at all, it’s going to be a clear improvement.

Frenchrooster la fonte ha i suoi limiti ed e’ vero.
Hai mai ascoltato diffusori sonus faber le piccole minima Fm 2 Minima Amator Electa Amator epoca Serblin o le nuove Stradivari Olympia con le elettroniche Naim suonano magnificamente meglio di Harbet e Tannoy il suono rimane piu’ delicato neutro e per nulla affaticante simile ai diffusori spendor. Se ti piace rumori e bassi che ti arrivano allo stomaco non fa per te ma se ascolti gruppi come PFM Le Orme, Fabrizio De’ Andre diciamo anche Maneskin che a me non piaccioni sono ottimi diffusori le concertino e le minuetto per la classica ti addormenti dolcemente ascoltandole di notte.

An Ndx2/ Xpsdr will sound better on 252/250 than Nd555 on SN3.
A middle Lp12 will sound better on 252/ 250 vs Klimax Lp12 on SN3.
If source first in all cases, would you pair a 100 k DCS VIVALDI source on SN3, or DCS Rossini/ clock ( 25k) on 552/500? I would choose always the later.

In English language please, as per forum rules.

Can you translate?

Frenchrooster the source has its limitations and it is true.
Have you ever listened to sonus faber speakers the small minima Fm 2 Minima Amator Electa Amator era Serblin or the new Stradivari Olympia with the Naim electronics sound beautifully better than Harbet and Tannoy the sound remains more delicate neutral and not at all tiring similar to the spendor speakers.

1 Like

If you like noises and bass that come to your stomach is not for you but if you listen to groups like PFM Le Orme, Fabrizio De 'Andre we also say Maneskin that I do not like are excellent speakers concertino and minuet for the classic you fall asleep gently listening to them at night.

Yes, I liked a lot some Sonus Faber speakers, the old range like Cremona auditor , Cremona, and the recent Olympica 2 and 3. But they need a lot of power to really reach their potential .
The Cremona auditor with Jeff Rowland 250 w was a delight.

So FR

How do you know ?

Have you listened to all these combinations to make this statement ?

I’ve actually had pretty close to both of those systems:

• middle ground LP12 through 282/HC/200
  • Klimax LP12 through Nait XS

The second system was much, much better than the first one.

6 Likes

I suspect you may be right ricsimas

Our illustrious leader @Richard.Dane i believe mentioned maybe in another thread about best front end with a lesser amp will sound best - or words to that effect

2 Likes

A middle Lp12 will sound better on 252/ 250 vs Klimax Lp12 on SN3.

Nope!!

2 Likes

My Naim dealer is at 15 mn by foot from my home. I had the pleasure to compare a lot of different set up during the last 20 years.

No problem, all opinions are welcome. But we completely agree to disagree here. It’s like saying that putting a Fiat punto with a Porsche 911 turbo s motor engine will drive better vs a Porsche boxter.

Why not try yourself? I see on your profile that you have 2 Lp12 , on two systems, one with 282/250 and the other with SN3.
As you asked me, outside of the dealer tests I could do for fun, I had Rega P3, P25, P9, SME 20, Rp8, Rp10, and P10. Rega Mira, 112/150, 202/200, 202/ flatcap/ 200, 282/ hicap/ 250, 252/250, Ear 912/ 300 dr and now 250 dr.
With each upgrade, I carefully choose what sounded better for me.
But of course, as I haven’t written IMO, then I write it now. 🥸

1 Like

It will not matter how much you spend on Amps and Speakers. They cannot turn an average source into great one. They cannot improve a source and will play what they are given.

1 Like

Me too - over 36 years

Well, we have different ears….