Linn LP12

A 5k LP12 will not compete with a P8 (IMO)
Especially if that budget includes cart / shelf/ kitchen sink

The P8 includes the excellent neo power supply and interconnects

You will not match the performance with a Linn …at 4 times the money

That’s my last word on this…I’ve done it to death

@Elkman70

Nick, there’s a lovely LP12 with Nima arm and refinished afromosia plinth on PFM right now – you should have a look. If you dig it, you can take it to Cymbiosis for the new Karousel bearing, and away you go!

–Joe

My few cents:

With a budget of ~£2k (and assuming this includes phono-stage et al) and with few LPs to spin at the moment, I would avoid thoughts of an LP12 even pre-loved. Reasons:

1- You cannot be 100% sure of what you are getting e.g. will it need a service/how is the cartridge(?), bearing et al. Linn’s prices are, shall we say ‘stiff’ (£50 for a belt). Just take a look at an LP12 price list - kinda eye watering. A dealer service is likely to run >£200 - OK, this may need doing once but…what else?

2- Given you have only a few LPs, I would suggest a ‘plug & play’ bit of kit (e.g. like a Rega) to see if you like the sound/virtues/the faff(!) of vinyl and go from there. New good quality LPs aren’t cheap nowadays and any upside replay quality difference to a CDS3 is likely to be minimal IMV (emphasise IMV), even on a high-spec vinyl spinner. Buying 2nd-hand vinyl can be a lottery and often not cheap either.

1 Like

A record cleaner is mandatory if you buy 2nd-hand LPs because you never know what is on the record.
I usually clean a 2nd-hand LP once, put it in a new, clean sleeve once it is cleaned.

Hi Nick, sorry haven’t read the whole thread so if I’m late to the punchline sorry.
I have just done what you are thinking, today was the setup day (finally). Lp12,prefix k, Armageddon Naim Aro with a Lyra Helikon sl cart.
I picked it up for just a wee bit more than your budget from a naim dealer.
I have a grand total of just the 1 record and I don’t care. It’s the next part of my audio journey and I shall enjoy every moment including buying vinyl and the search for that special pressing, imo your system deserves vinyl and you can get something that will chew up your CDS3 on a fairly reasonable budget.
I’m going to the secondhand record shop tomorrow and I’m looking forward to trawling through the massive selection.

5 Likes

SF
what do you think so far about the sound and your investment?

Not sure just yet. A friend came over and set it up for me then left me some lp’s. It’s very much equal to the cds2 but has a more of a believable sound. Bottom end is a bit lean atm but has more definition than the cds2, tops are clear as a bell, vocals are easily defined and the sound stage is very good and surprisingly lovely, my wife has commented it has a warmer sound. The plinth is an old 041### I’m unsure what bearing it has however the 12 has been loved as its in minty mint condition. It came in around £2500 which I feel is a good price considering the Aro, Helikon sl cart Armageddon and prefix…oh just tell me to stop it!!
Another buddy who has a big 500 vinyl system is going to bring over some top end first pressings so I can hear what it’s all about.
I’ve been around a bunch of vinyl over the last few years at different friends and have had the honour from Technics sp10 wand tone arm Hana cart to lp12 Ittok troika stageline to Michelle ord signature grahams 2.2 Lyra Atlas Into Superline 500 system, I’m thankful having mates with such awesome setups and the guidance they have afford me.
So Im happy as a clam and It’s represents very very good vfm. But I’m not going “it’s the best thing since sliced bread…just yet”:grimacing:

I think it’s just lovely sitting on my 10 phased mana table, I have a wall table and will try that out in a few weeks.

10 Likes

It looks great. Definitely thought that my old CDS2 and Lp12 had some similarities.

So lucky your mate has leant you some vinyl. Enjoy the music!

2 Likes

I saw that and am tempted:)

Although I am also tempted by a Rega, possibly a 6 or a stretch to an 8, less messing about from the sounds of it.

1 Like

That is beautiful. In the states, an Aro in mint condition is £1700 and I just sold my Armageddon 3 days ago, which was mint, for £675. I would say you got a ripping great deal, and it is beautiful. Well done!

The sound is much warmer that digital. And flows beautifully from the Sondek.

Scott

1 Like

LP12 second hand …
Good check and adjust and you will be happy with your music.

OK, OP, Much discussion on T.T. very little on Tone Arm if MC cartridge decent arm can cost money! and is also the matching to the T.T. Would definately look at a unit that comes complete. Suspended T.T. are fine as long as NOT LP12 as they are like something built from a meccano set ( i have had the pleasure of owning these since 1975) Contrast with a Michell Orbe which i also own basically 2 alloy castings,works best SME 309 arm much problem finding suitable arm cable so still not a pug and play option even though is right out of your price range. Back in the 1980s i played around with a flatmates Rega 3 RB250 AT0C9 combination into my NAC32 N110 in contrast to every one else on the planet now and then i thought this was the worst T.T. i had ever heard. I have no knowledge of any Rega made since or if the fan base is in any way different from my original experience. However ClearAudio and Rega ( as by H.H.) have been mentioned and it is now 35 yrs later Also they come with suitable Arms. Just avoid the Couple 2 cables these appear to have been made on the basis of any decent piece of copper wire will do and are either clothy, lack transperancy or lack detail take your pick very noticeably. Close to that price range Chord Clearway also lacking in detail is a nice listen and even freq response and you only notice what is missing if you swap with a superior cable.

The late Frank Abela, (who worked at my local dealership on Saturdays) ran an Orb and replaced his SME 4 (or was it a 5?) with an Aro, after a dalliance with a Wilson Benesch ACT 1. He certainly didn’t share your opinion about the best arm for it.

The Aro on anything other than a Linn has always been out of the ordinary. @Richard.Dane will remember well the Avid period and the Bristol show around 2005/6?! Very successful in my view, pity it didn’t sustain. Avid were even repainting their PSUs to match Naim electronics. I always wanted to try one on my Xerxes but never been possible.

Regards,

Lindsay

Yes, indeed. Conrad even made a special and rather neat mount for the Aro that would fit the SME cut-out and offered overhang adjustment, called the Slide.

And of course, Loricraft were also great fans of the Aro on their Garrards, with a beautifully machined custom arm base that also allowed some overhang adjustment to be made - and I can personally attest to the success of the marriage…

3 Likes

I’ve been looking at my Royal N and thinking how much neater it would look if the cheese and mounting plate were combined in one piece of brass.

A brass cheese and heavy counterweight might also solve the bass/ treble issue you experienced using one in the Aro.

It is of course possible that the supplied cheese is important to the cartridges musicality but I might need to put it to the test if I could find someone to make one.
In fact the same piece could be used for both as I still have the Aro.

I get your point Yeti what i really meant was among arms Now available at a lower cost than SME 4 the 309 is hard to beat. But i do not think any of the SME arms do their best with the OEM VDH Arm cable and my opinion relates to the arm After that problem is solved.

When we were playing with the SPU Royal N at Naim, one of the changes we looked at was to get rid of the two parts (i.e. the ‘cheese’) and make a one piece body as we felt that would probably improve it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.