Linn platter

I’d stick to the GB1s. Until the 250 has run in. My GB1i sound fantastic driven by the 250.

Will do, thanks did you audition the 1 against the i versions and can you upgrade the 1 to the i is it just the tweeter or more involved.

1 Like

Hi sorry sent the picture without text, the gap is half of the blade chamfered part which is 2mm which makes the gap 1mm, I feel this is a little excessive when the original is virtually flat, I will try and upload a photo to show.

1 Like

Here is mine, ‘posed’ with a 0,5mm shim (measured as 0,52mm).

With the shim, there is virtually no ‘step’, by look or feel.

Don’t forget these Linn parts are subject to engineering tolerances (*) - and we are comparing very recent parts (2018, in my case) versus much older ones (1981).

You might like to try another outer platter, to compare…? Maybe Moorgate could help you out…?

(* - I would hope that modern LP12 parts are held to tighter tolerances, that they were, back in the 1980’s. So I would expect any variation to be in the outer platter.)

1 Like

That’s the same as mine - circa 1988. :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m wondering if new platters are shallower?

1 Like

It’s a tweeter crossover and internal damping that differs. I preferred the GB1i to the 20/23s. @james_n used GB1s for a number of years on a lot of different amps before the eventualy changed them.

My outer plater is only 7 years old compared to new inner. I really wouldn’t worry about it.

Hello both the karousel bearing and inner platter and the outer platter are both brand new so I would have thought that the fit would have been spot on.

1 Like

Here’s mine. Original outer platter (3 years old), inner platter from Karousel upgrade. 0.5 mm difference seems about right. No issues with this at all.

1 Like

OK, so that blows my theory, as both of your parts are ‘new’.
Over to Linn, then…!

1 Like

Very similar to mine, then, dimensionally. I have a Cirkus inner, with 1980’s outer.

Mines the same too. I’d wager it’s a deliberate design to ensure that the underside of the playing surface of the record sits reliably on the mat rather than the label taking the weight and leaving the outer part of the record randomly contacting the mat.
I recall that Peter @Cymbiosis often gives a record a quick tap down on the label just to the right of the spindle after putting a record on. I wonder if that’s to ensure that the disc sits down squarely on the mat?

4 Likes

Very similar arrangement on mine too, with the Karousel.

Hello
I have today spoken to Richard at Linn customer service who confirmed that a very slight inner platter difference in height is acceptable but not on the scale that this turntable is displaying, just enough to compensate for the printed label, the patchy finish is altogether another issue which should not have happened, I have contacted the supplying dealer who was understanding and has suggested I return the outer plinth and he will attempt to match to another not patchy finish karousel bearing and platter, this means another trip to Moorgate to have it fitted as I understand the spindle and bearing are also matched, hopefully once done I can relax and listen to a bit of music.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention this could apparently be due to different age items, not sure if I subscribe to this explanation as on this occasion both are new, will keep you posted.
Neil.

2 Likes

Yes but it’s only the label, where there is never any vertical force, and maybe a small part of the inner grooves. The vertical tracking force one the grooved area is something like 2 grams, this will not bend the record in any significant way

Hello
Yes your more than likely right but if you have just spent over 1k on a bearing and platter it would be nice if they indeed had the same finish never mind the height issue, perhaps I have the Linn mentality, small differences such as a braced plinth or the extra bolt on the top plate make a difference and any portion of the vinyl not supported may make a difference to sound quality, I say may but if a 30 year old turntable is level than surely you should expect the same for new.

1 Like

Should have bought a Rega where the platter is slightly smaller than the LP, avoiding the slightly thicker area of the run-in groove :wink:

Or maybe Linn know what they are doing, just a thought!

2 Likes

I don’t think this is intentional or common. Over at the HiFi WigWam Linn forum, a couple of folks have reported the same thing but the consensus there is that it’s a machining inconsistency between the current outer platters and some older ones (mine does not sit lower, it’s pretty flush).