Linn Sondek/Krystal

Agree - Peter is fantastic - I’m in Sydney and I purchased a birds eye maple plinth from him for one of my sondek’s. He sent me photos of a few plinths to choose from

He is a legend in the set up of Sondek’s and to boot a real nice guy, he comes out occasionally to Australia and I met him at Audio Genesis in Sydney where he held a session on Sondek set up techniques.

He will set you on the right path

Cheers

1 Like

…my main concern would be for a LP12 which was set-up at the dealers…and then was transported to the customer. Bumpy roads with inclines, stopping and starting etc.

No problems, been taking mine for a service / upgrade many times over the years on a 150 mile round trip.

Take the outer platter and counterbalance off for the journey and re-assemble when back home.

They are more robust than people think. Once set up, they stay set up.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the current Akurate LP12 a few times recently and think it sounds very well balanced. Bearing in mind the Krystal, Kore and Lingo 4 have all been developed around a then current Akurate-spec deck fitted with an Akito 3 (which in v3 form is finally better than an Ittok despite Linn’s earlier claims). OK, it does look a bit weedy compared to an Ekos but still a very nice arm and not cheap to manufacture in Scotland to Linn standards, hence they have to ‘buy in’ an OEM arm for the Majik deck.

I just think this arm gets a bad rap at times, perhaps based on the v1 issues, perhaps cos folks have not properly heard the current version, but it’s come on a long way since then (i.e. machined main body and yoke instead of cast, tighter tollarances, similar assembly to the SE, etc.)

2 Likes

If you end up getting an LP12 Akurate (with the Krystal) I would caution against thinking that the Uphorik is (much) better than the Aria. I had the Uphorik on home demo and was, frankly, a bit underwhelmed considering the price. I had the Aria on home demo a bit later and while I couldn’t do any A/B comparisons I found the Aria to be very close to/virtually as good as the Uphorik. In fact, I would have gotten the Aria had it not been for some hum issues (in my particular set up, did not replicate in the dealer’s set up). Incidentally, I got my LP12 three years ago and just missed out on the Lingo 4 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: In addition to Lingo 4 the current incarnation now also has the Karousel fitted, so arguably quite better VFM than 3 years ago. The LP12 is not cheap - personally I actually think it’s quite overpriced - but it’s just such a nice, classic and timeless deck, so I had to get it. I don’t regret it for a second. I just always sounds “right” somehow and even with not so good recordings the musical message always comes through. Difficult to describe. And as others have said, it doesn’t need constant adjustment; once set it will stay that way.

1 Like

No worries we distance with round trips as much much as 110 miles. Just make sure you keep the box and all the internal packaging materials and transport with the counter balance removed from the arm. Two pieces polystyrene under the inner platter keeps things snug with the outer platter removed!
I’ve never have any issues having had 2 LP12s staring bay back to 1988.

3 Likes

Mine has moved between continents without needing a setup.

Seriously, they do not go out of tune that easily.

1 Like

I am lucky as my dealer lives about two miles from our house. Two of the staff almost drive past on their way home.
So as a helpful dealer, any mods are down to them to colelct and return.
Remove the lid and place to one side. Remove outer platter, support inner plattter, cover stylus, remove counterweight, box up, take to shop and return. Pay dealer. Enyjoy.
It must be 15 years and more when the LP12 went off song. As long as the bounce test is totally vertical you have no problem.

I still remember picking up my first LP12 from work in 1988. I worked in Brentford and drove over to my dealer one lunchtime in Lewisham to be asked to wait for 4 hours for them to build it up - it was a good job that my manager was also a hifi lover!

1 Like

Well tempered great turntable but made in china,time to look after the UK brands made here not china

3 Likes

Any competent dealer has learned how to “pack” an lp-12 for the back and forth from shop to buyer. Outer platter removed, tonearm weight off, a few cardboard shims , twist-tie for the arm, all of it nestled in styrofoam from the original box ideally. My own is from 1990 and has only been serviced/up-graded 4 or 5 times and goes 30 miles each way, It’s not a concern.

Mine was in the early 1980s…I was versed in the procedure for securing the components and packaging. I do not use the LP12 now, but I would never be sure that it was set-up to virtual perfection…my own neurosis, maybe.!

My own concerns were that the platter would spin in a clock-wise direction ~ shrugs~ it always did and it played MUSIC.

I currently use the Krystal and Kandid with the Lejonklou Entity ($2695) with excellent results. In both cases the Entity replaced a Urika.

Following the hierarchy mentioned earlier is the way to proceed, but obviously quite expensive. Before moving to the Krystal/ Entity I had the Lejonklou Gaio and then Slipsik MM with the Linn Adikt (on an Aro) and was amazed at how great it sounded.

The Lejonklou phono preamps are small and fortunately do not require a large and expensive supply. My main system is an active Naim setup driving Isobariks, so I am a huge Naim fan and have been for 20+ years. Lejonklou is on to something and his gear is worth checking out.

3 Likes

The new Akito v3 is not out of place in a top tier Statement statment system with the rest of the Akurate level table. It is a really good arm. I have hear that table at dealer with statement preamp, 500 amp, amd top line Proacs and it is a killer system.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.