Lions rugby 2021

If it opens up 2nd half - Lions might still win

Well there is some fire in the bellies now…

They have looked OK in possession but not had much. Set piece pressure from SA is huge.

SA don’t really ‘do’ open-up do they?

1 Like

ha true - no they dont

Lions looking fitter??

yes - they need to close this out now - game is for the taking I reckon

1 Like

And never in doubt. Not a great game but the 2nd half produced large amounts of tension if you happen to support the lions. Well done AWJ and the team. Some monumental performances in there. Roll on next week.

2 Likes

To say it was never in doubt is perhaps a little optimistic but over the 80 minutes they deserved to squeeze home.

1 Like

Below par performance by the Springbok’s water carrier.
Hope Dan Biggar recovers for the next game.

1 Like

Lions thoroughly deserved that win, close and tense if not a great game of Rugby, for once in SA close decisions went our way - rightly though.
Next test will be interesting - fancy Gatland to be more forward and attacking minded for that one

1 Like

SA v Lions - A very stodgy & scrappy game in parts, with little expansive play, perhaps courtesy of being the first (mustn’t lose) match, 2 well-drilled defences, and some optimistic back-line moves, which were stopped well behind the gain line. The ‘ball out the back’ moves are being read so many times nowadays.

I thought EJ had been coaching both teams given the amount of kicking throughout - an indictment on the lawmakers over the years in how they’ve mucked-up the off-side law changes IMV.

Stupid pens again (England players!) conceded and a couple of borderline TMO calls assisted the Lions. A win is a win (it didn’t really feel like it TBH) but some of the pens looked quite soft and an advert for the game of rugby this wasn’t. At times, it was almost like both teams were playing with 12 forwards.

1 Like

SA will surely get better, they looked short of match practice and fitness and their bench did not help them much. Their wingers are never going to be too weary though! Churlish to complain of their style; it won the World Cup so they aren’t likely to change.

Lions will get better too though. In that first half were almost trying a bit too hard to compete (Curry) After half time the confidence came and they showed some potency in attack, and equity at the set pieces. Their bench was effective.

To be honest the refereeing also seemed nervous early on and a bit inconsistent with Watson lucky to stay on the pitch and some very odd decisions especially re advantage.

As others have said hardly a classic but I enjoyed it, and a crowd would have added so much.

Bruce

2 Likes

I paid $12 for a subscription and fell asleep half way through the first half. Doh.

1 Like

Agreed, I thought that could easily have been a red, irrespective of benign intent just so potentially dangerous.

1 Like

I know how you feel. One of my favourite pastimes is falling asleep whilst watching live sport. Sorry to @Pete_the_painter

2 Likes

I think thats fair enough though- after all it was a 2am start in our time zone

Yes silly me fell for the 12.30 start of the broadcast, I hadn’t counted on an hour and half of dribble.

Yes I do that a lot with English football, there’s lots of games that I’ve seen the start and not the end. I have a habit of waking just after the game has finished.

I always check start times on BBC Sport website then add the time difference
The drivel pre matches has now reached astronomical heights - wouldn’t be so bad if there was some intelligent and real insights and analysis
Optus Sport for the Euros was utterly appalling

1 Like

The prematch drivel for the Wallabies vs France tests here just completed was so embarrassing, they’ve gone all technical and completely lost any soul they had in the commentary in past years

If this keeps up it will turn me off the game forever

I put them on silent until the players come out onto the pitch
Fortunately there are still some commentators in world sport who have something useful to day - but they are far too few.