List of Bookshelf Speakers that match with Naims

Hello

I want to get input here, a list of some bookshelf speakers that according to friends’ experience are suitable or suitable to be paired with the Naim system.
In accordance here, it means that in general it does not change the character of Naim’s voice, in terms of sound originality, tonal balance, etc.
Some friends suggest using the ATC / Neat / PMC brands, but I don’t know what type is the right type for the bookshelf form factor

thank you for the input here, hopefully this can also be a reference for other friends who are matching the system with a bookshelf speaker

thank you

1 Like

Do you actually mean speakers that can be placed on a bookshelf, meaning that they are on a shelf with the wall right behind them, or are you using the term, as people often do, to refer to small stand mounted speakers (as opposed to floorstanders)?

2 Likes

It would be nice to know what NAIM equipment you or your friend have so a specific recommendation could be made.

You will find a lot of members also use ProAC speakers with Naim. I have used ProAc D2 (Stand Mount Speakers) and ProAc D30RS (Floor Standing Speakers) with my SuperNait 2.

2 Likes

bookshelf means the form factor, arguably the opposite of floorstanding

I am using NAC-62 / NAP-140 with CDX CD Player, what suitable bookshelf speaker that good to drive by them ?

thank you

Important to clarify your meaning, as otherwise bookshelf means bookshelf - and the requirements for that form of siting are different from standmount which I think is what you mean (the opposite of floorstanding is ceiling mounted or ceiling hanging!)

To I use Linn Kans with my Nait 3. The new Falcon LS3/5a would be better and I will buy a pair to replace the Kans when they are once again in stock here in the states.

1 Like

The new Rega Kytes look like they could be a good, fun, bargain basement speaker.

I might buy a pair, just for the hell of it. And after I’ve given them a thorough going over I’d likely stick them in the AV system to replace the Q-Acoustics 3020’s I use there as rear speakers (which are really very good in their own right). That way they’d be doing something useful and I can drag them out for a blast now and then.

Isn’t the answer obvious…??

Kans, Kans, or Kans…?

1 Like

Before just throwing in some models and brands, it would be more appropriate to choose some speakers that fit your desired form factor. Also knowing how you want to position them and how loud you want to listen to. Budget is also a consideration. Neat is often mentioned here, and i am sure that even the small Iota would make a nice system with your combo.

I don’t know the exact specs of the NAP140 but it is surely no powerhouse. If you listen at moderate volume just choose a relatively efficient speaker you like which fits your budget. If your amp performs within its specification, it will sound good with any good speaker which is not hard to drive. I think that you should approach it from that perspective rather than look for an ideal pairing, which may or may not exist :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really…? Well it was/is 45 W per channel. That’s 45 Naim Watts. Adequate. Very. IMO.

YMMV, etc.

1 Like

That is more than i thought. For its size and used technology it is surely quite powerful. However if your speaker presents a difficult load and drops to say, 3ohms, you won’t get very far if you want to crank it up. For me it is ok as i rarely go above 85db but some people like their 95-100db volume level.

But as you say, it is really adequate and will drive any well designed speaker at a reasonable volume level. Would love to hear that legendary Naim combination one day.

1 Like

Sort of impossible thread but my first thought were nSats.

2 Likes

My NAP140, fresh from Class A service (a few months back now - thanks @Darran !!), is running instead of my NAP250, on the end of my CDX2-XPS2-NAC82-HC, driving my new-to-me Kudos X3’s.

Not found any lack of ‘oomph’… :hear_no_evil:

Currently playing Swiss Folk Metal - Cellar Darling… :smiley:

1 Like

NAP 140 in 8 ohm is 45 WPC, I have BW DM601S3 and with knob on 7 and half o’clock, the sound is absolutely adequate and very strong, I think NAP 140 is high gain amp, different from classic models on 2000s era

sounds so interesting …nice

1 Like

Dynaudio Evoke 10 here with SN3 - one of the best speakers ive had in my room especially at low vols during the day when working

1 Like

How about ATC SCM-7 1st gen V2 or SCM-7 2nd gen ?

2 Likes

I had Dynaudio EMIT’s before, very flat frequency response, recently switched to PMC Twenty5.21i that do provide more soundstage and instrument separation. It’s not flat though in frequency response (tonal balance?), but excellent at PRaT (sound originality?). I had a long list for more than 6 months, but fell in love too quickly with the PMC (in my very small room) to audition them all, here’s a few that were on the long list:
ATC SCM7
Revel M16
SonusFaber Sonetto (1)
Triangle Comete EZ, or Titus EZ
Totem Sky
Neat Ministra
ProAc Tablette
KEF LS50 (meta)
There’s loads more, but my neurotic condition is that they have to come in white. It’s already hard enough for me to accept that the Uniti comes in black only.

ProAc Tablette 10 Signature

3 Likes