Litter and pollution

I think in essence people don’t really like being told what to do or think by celebrities leading lavish lifestyles. Often hard to know if they are being genuine or simply trying to ‘look good’ in the eyes of supporters of certain causes/movements which they have little to do with in reality.

Many will be genuine, others just looking for social media points.

1 Like

I still don’t understand hanging bags of dog poo in trees/bushes mind you…

1 Like

The verges of our roads including motorways are littered with tons of rubbish. I have never met anyone who either condones or admits to this practice. However there must be hundreds of people guilty on a daily basis. Step forward anybody who ever throws litter from their car window and explain yourself.

3 Likes

I am puzzled by bags of poo that make it as far as the base of the public bin, but not actually in to the opening at the top! Who does that? walks to the bin with their dog poo but not actually put it in?

3 Likes

Poo fruit.
Caused by tossers.*
N
*Those who can’t be bothered to carry it to a bin or home.

2 Likes

Now that fast food franchises are opening up again amounts of litter on the roadside will return to pre-virus levels. There was a big drop-off during the lockdown.

4 Likes

I collected a fair quantity of Pizza Hut pizza boxes and bags, took them into the restaurant and dumped them on the counter. The assistant said it wasn’t their fault, but I pointed to the company logo on the boxes and suggested that they needed to educate their customers.

Funnily enough, from the locations where the boxes accumulated it was possible to determine a 12” distance and an 18” distance from the restaurant.

Fortunately, that outlet has since closed down.

5 Likes

I’ve often wondered if the suppliers of the takeaway could somehow be held accountable for the mess they make.

I accept that you can’t hold Pizza Hut directly accountable for their customers’ actions. However it seems wrong that the wider community should suffer when it’s Pizza Hut that benefited.

2 Likes

The other thing I’ve wondered about with takeaways is how much of the supposedly recyclable packaging is recycled even when binned on their own premises.

2 Likes

I’m often surprised at the amount of garbage in places you might not expect e.g the grassy region to the right of a sliproad onto a motorway when ordinarily most people you’d think would be driving at a fair speed in that lane and wouldn’t really have time to chuck things out of the window.

2 Likes

That’s so very true…
I even found cans at 4460m in the Mont Blanc massif. Not old rusty cans from the fifties, Red Bull cans… amazing… Even some alpinists leave garbage on their way. There is no hope…

4 Likes

I clean the verge along the road near the house every couple of months or so. Part of it borders a girl’s boarding school. They have contract grounds people in to strim, mow and cut hedges etc… What I don’t quite understand is that whoever strims the grass long the roadside, doesn’t pick up any of the rubbish beforehand, so you just end up with lots of strimmed little pieces of rubbish and plastic all over the place. It’s a real pain to clean that up and would have been so much easier to pick up before having been strimmed.

I took advantage of the reduced traffic during lockdown to do a really thorough clean up and it was interesting to see that there are obviously regular places where people throw items - coffee cups, lots on one particular area; cans of red bull, a load of them all within a few metres of each other. It looked great for a day, but by day two already there were more coffee cups and cans…

Talking of unexpected rubbish, for the past two years I have made a point of picking up any rubbish - plastic, nylon, metal, glass etc… while walking the fields here. You would think that agricultural land would be pretty clean right? Wrong! So far I have filled three large coal sacks full of plastic, baler twine, zip ties, bits of bag etc… I have also got enough bits of metal to call in the scrap man, and a large plastic tub full of glass pieces, crockery etc…

Some of it I think just blows in, but other bits are directly from farm machinery and others enter via manure spreading. Amazing really, and yet also somewhat depressing…

6 Likes

If I remember rightly wasn’t plastic pollution one of the Four Horseman in Good Omens?

1 Like

Sometimes the I go for a walk I take a bag for the rubbish. I live in a AONB a real shame there is so much thoughtlessness

Yup, AONB here too, although being in Kent the level of traffic in these parts has increased markedly in the past 30 years.

On yesterday’s walk I decided to photograph what i had picked up within half an hour. And this about average for every day of the year…

1 Like

I tend to pick up litter off the street normally - pop cans/bottles/crisp bags etc - naturally during the lockdown I’m less inclined to pick up someones else’s litter unless I just happen to have some gloves on. Amazing how much is still being dropped.

In London, sadly, it’s also increasingly common to see the little silver metal comprssed air ‘bottles’ that cyclists use to inflate a flat tyre, just tossed on the ground after use. See em more a more. I’m a rider too, and it just plain bugs me…

2 Likes

I used to drive the A12 to work every day, the number of containers of Urine thrown on the verges by lorry drivers was disgusting.

1 Like

I thought those were little Nitrous Oxide bottles that seem popular with kids at the moment ?

1 Like

St Trinians?

I guess they have nowhere to put it. I think the problems is those who put it there in the first place.

I applaud your attempts to try to help clear this up.

Perhaps some form on national service would help which included a clean up programme. I wonder if somebody who had participated in the clean up would still drop litter.