Little Pleasures

There are many posts on various communities that I follow, where pictures are shared of expensive possessions…hifi, bikes, cars, watches etc. I thought I’d share something that cost £2.99 and until I purchased it, didn’t realise how much it would improve my life…especially when buttering toast or bread, it is a thing of beauty and brings a little smile to my face everytime I use it…the humble butter knife. What cheap purchase (under £5.00p) could you not live without?

5 Likes

B13C6BB6-D23B-4C70-AFCB-A7AFB4BFE309-3034-000003283F353F5B

Usually has a good price, and stops me smelling like a French language teacher.

3 Likes

Two of life’s tools that lead to great pleasure.

9 Likes

Ostehøvel - cheese slicer, mainly used in Scandinavia. Invented by a Norwegian named Thor Bjørklund in 1925, apparently. The brown Cheese in the picture is a sweet Cheese called Brunost (Brown cheese).

It does not work so well on Chedar as Chedar is a little crumbly, but frankly you would be considered insane if you didn’t use one in Norway.

5 Likes

This is my stainless steel sieve that I purchased for less than a fiver many years ago. You may notice that it is missing a handle but it one of my most cherished items because it is just the right size to fit inside small pots. The missing handle also allows me to hold the other end and reach right down to the bottom of the pot and sift out spices/particulates inside the broth leaving it nice and clear without the need for decanting (saves time on washing up).

2 Likes

Microfibre mini dish cloths are an essential that would be missed.
I work as a chef and these are so useful. For cleaning and running under water to rinse surfaces, making the plates look pretty. Clearing up fresh mess and leaving a lint and fluff free finish.
Around the home is still feeling the love. Can turn a mountain into a molehill.

6 Likes

Nice, but I think I prefer our old butterknives with more flexible blades, bought at a local jumble sale many years ago. :hugs:

1 Like

This brings back memories of a holiday in tromso many years ago. I was sceptical about the cheese at first but it is delicious!

I’m still in love with Animal.

Makes dusting the Linn (stylus guard ON!) and the black boxes/Fraim just a joy… best £12 ever.

5 Likes

A bookmark I bought in a dusty shop in Dijon over 25 years ago. Cheap metal and yellow paint but it has become very precious. I lose it every few months prompting a frenzy until found!
Bruce

1 Like

I noticed that the cheese stall in the Shambles market in Stroud was selling this. They call it ‘caramac’ cheese.

1 Like

Just the colour makes me feel faintly nauseous!

1 Like

In the spirit of ‘simple and useful’…

Paper clip remover

George.

3 Likes

Its not for me. I don’t have a very sweet tooth and this Cheese can be quite sweet, especially in the morning, my preference is for a savoury breakfast.

Children like the Cheese because it is able to be manipulated into various throwing shapes to bombard the apple juice.

2 Likes

external-content.duckduckgo.com

For many years I used a deodorant stick from Slazenger and was bereft when they stopped production about 20 years ago. I tried many replacements over the years but none came close. Then back in February (just before the lockdown) we were on holiday in Spain and my wife called in at a pharmacy/perfume shop and I begrudgingly went in with her… and there it was. It’s now made by Unilever and only sold on the continent but easily ordered online. It’s double the price I paid in the shop but at £4, it’s worth every penny.

2 Likes

1 Like

Do they clog the sewers like all these supposedly flushable baby wipes and similar?

When I worked we called these Swedish grippers!

1 Like

Always thought these would be rubbish, but no!

Air popcorn makers.

Bought a Silvercrest one from Lidl last year and stuck it on top of the cupboard - cost little over a tenner.

Tried it a few weeks ago - works brilliantly though you need a bigger bowl than shown and will get some stray kernels/popped corn on the floor.

Uses hot air alone - no cleaning needed.

Melt a little butter with salt/sugar and pour/drip over or eat ‘neat’ for a more healthy option.

2 Likes

That looks interesting.
I usually have a big saucepan and lid tightly held down, with some coconut oil instead of butter - gives such a yummy flavour and doesn’t burn left kernels if heated too long. :wink: :wink: