Live Albums - How Many Actually Are Live?

The ‘full’ CD version is much newer than the original release. For anyone wondering, yes, Martin Birch and Roger Glover did (pretty much) select the best versions of each song, for the ‘Made In Japan’ set.

‘Live in Japan’ on 3 CD’s is really for Deep Purple completists, IMO…
But YMMV… its the Interwebzzz… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yes, I wrote it in my post… That the CD edition came much later… More specifically in the summer of 1993.
But my point is, since this thread is about authentic live recordings, that it is only on the CD edition that you can follow the concerts as they were performed, from start to finish. In addition, at all three concerts. It doesn’t get more authentic than that…:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sheffield Lab produced live recorded albums in the 70.
Recorded in studio, but recorded direct to master disc.

3 Likes

This used to be the go to Hi Fi test album back in the day - in terms of content the album is a bit short and patchy.

2 Likes

I’m generally not a fan of live album’s although I’ve warmed to a few recently. My favourite and the one I’ve always had is Rock & Roll Animal by Lou Reed, the performances of Sweet Jane and Heroin are classics. The intro is brilliant and having had the pleasure to see him a few times I think it captures him perfectly.

10 Likes

It doesn’t get any more live than this, 36 discs, no overdubs and the 27/5/1966 is a wonderful train wreck of a gig, I know I was there.

2 Likes

I have been enjoying this live album for over 45 years. Still love it, but I do know that some guitar solos were re-recorded.

3 Likes

Sounds almost like I can remember it when watching them play this at the junction. Although some parts was recorded at Manchester.

3 Likes

If you add the Lou Reed Live album to Rock n’ Animal you have the whole Academy of Music show.

Never got to see Lou but I did see the guitarists on this set Steve Hunter and Dck Wagner with Alice Cooper on the Welcome to my Nightmare Tour.

Here is the track list.

4 Likes

This Robin Trower Live album is top notch.

Recorded by the SBC

2 Likes

I’ve not seen that I’ll see if I can track it down somewhere, cheers.

1 Like

It’s not available you need the following two albums then a bit of cutting and pasting to make the complete set.

3 Likes

Thanks all I could find was a 7 track of the original album (it was only 5).

I had that album years ago and never realised it was part of the same gig. Thank you, this what I love about this forum. :+1:

1 Like

The remastered rock n’ roll animal had this track list

And the remaining tracks are from Lou Reed Live

2 Likes

Tangerine Dream were notorious for virtually recording most “live” albums in the studio with only a sprinkling of the actual live recording.

What about bands that take live recordings and turn them into studio albums? Starless and Bible Black comes to mind where any trace of the audience is removed and a few overdubs added.

@AndyP on Tidal. @Fatcat thanks for that will listen today.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Thelma Houston is only on Tracks 1,3,5 & 8 which is a pity as she is a great singer.

Morrissey released a live album ‘Live at Earl’s Court’, sometime around the early 2,000s I think it was. Brilliant vocals and I recall a note on the CD liner stating it had not been overdubbed.

Of course he’s a complete pillock now, but it’s still a great example of a live recording.

The original liner notes on the back of The Doors’ ‘Absolutely Live’ 2 LP set claimed that it was indeed recorded absolutely live, with no studio overdubs.

It’s a cracking album, if only to get a complete ‘live’ performance of ‘The Celebration Of The Lizard’.

Elektra Records deleted it from their catalogue many years back, but it was brought back as a Record Store Day release in the USA a few years ago. I think that it may now have been reinstated again.

Diverse Vinyl can back order Absolutely.

1 Like