Live Recordings Good or Bad

I would add Little Feat, Waiting For Columbus to your list. The MoFi 33RPM vinyl reissue is great and back in print when I looked recently.

3 Likes

Wynton Kelly, Live at the Blue Note on Verve is a favorite of my wife and me. The 45RPM vinyl reissue by Analogue Productions is fantastic.

1 Like

Joni Mitchell, Miles of Aisles. Is an amazing live album. Everything about it from Tom Scott and the LA Express, the mix and mastering and of course the incomparable Joni.

And of course there is
The Grateful Dead, Europe 72. Simply the definitive live Dead album.

Jackson Browne, Running On Empty

The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over

Yessongs by Yes has some stellar performances but the SQ is very thin.

A few of mine are :-

Eva Cassidy - Nightbird
Sara K & Chris Jones - Are we there yet ?
Bill Withers - Live at Carnegie Hall
Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash at St Quentin

2 Likes

Sorry, but Live Dead has to be the definitive live Dead album!

1 Like

I love Little Feat but I’ve never been convinced by Waiting for Columbus and prefer the earlier bootleg live albums like Electrif Lycanthrope.

AJ Ghent Band - Live At Terminal West.

Just the sound of a band having a blast in front of a live audience, and the SQ of the recording is damn fine too. :+1:

Maybe Clive, but Europe sounds better!

B.B. King - Live at the Regal and Live at Cook County Jail.
Lot’s of atmosphere.

2 Likes

Well, both are essential, and I was playing with words. Anyhow Live Dead is liver than Europe72 which had quite a lot of studio recording added before it was released. For me the best sounding version of Live Dead remains the original vinyl and I think the SQ is stunningly good (it was one of the first live rock recordings done on 16 track).

If you like jazz, then this is stunning IMV in terms of content & reproduction - from 1963, remastered and reissued in 2001.

Arguably, the best of Brubeck and colleagues on 2 CDs.

3 Likes

Hi What a coincidence just as this message arrived I was placing BB King live at the Regal in the CD player.

I have to agree it sounds excellent and very atmospheric.

Great response to my original post.

Think I have a lot of cd’s to buy and play through my new Neat Ekstra speakers. 200 hours run in and still only upto 50 hours.

Corres Unplugged up next.

Trevor

Good choice.

If you like Ravi Shankar, the Monterey Pop Festival recording is a fantastic performance. Janis Joplin performing Ball and Chain is also amazing.

Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall was also remastered on vinyl by Willem Makkee for the 2013 Speakers Corner reissue.

Great band still touring, the one Live Reggae album everyone should own IMO
:heart:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.