London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

I have been discovering the London/UK Jazz scene for some weeks. Since then I have been listening to interprets like Nubya Garcia, Sons of Kemet an Ashley Henry. After that I was curious for more.

So I asked for some recommendation in the Vinyl thread. @Bobthebuilder, @BlueCanary and @CliveB gave some grandiose inspirations. I am very thankful for these!

So I just had the idea to make a new topic so that all Naimers could participate. I will try to put the posts on here so everybody is invited to contribute.

1 Like

Hi @krautnaimie here are a few London/British based Jazz artists Alfa Mist, Yussef Dayes, Maisha (featuring Nubya Garcia), Mansour Brown, Kamaal Williams, Yussef Kamaal a band featuring Yussef Dayes and Kamaal Williams, Williams also records under the name Henry Wu. Rosie Turton who performs alongside Nubya Garcia in the mostly all female Septet Nerija also in Nerija are Sheila Maurice-Grey on trumpet, and alto saxophonist Cassie Kinoshi who both also play in KOKOROKO an excellent West African infused Jazz group and in Seed Collective (now just Seed I believe) and whose debut Iā€™ve just bought.

Which leads me nicely onto Theon Cross who also plays with Seed Collective and Yazz Ahmed who uses the same cover artist Sophie Bass and on whose debut Shabaka Hutchings plays, Yazzā€™s 2nd record Polyhymnia another all female Jazz collaboration also features the excellent saxophonist
Camilla George.

As you can see the British Jazz scene is quite incestuous and one artist leads to another and another all great stuff though I hope you enjoy discovering yourself.

originally posted @Bobthebuilder

2 Likes

second post by @Bobthebuilder

1 Like

originally posted by @CliveB

originally posted by @BlueCanary

Would have thought TheKevster would be your very best bet as he edits a jazz mag.

1 Like

Good idea for a thread. Although Iā€™m not into the whole ā€˜sceneā€™ elements of it are really, really good and there are some exceptional musicians coming through.

1 Like

Thanks @ewemon, and of course @TheKevster is absoluely welcome!

Thanks for your support @Bobthebuilder

I think there are a lot of members here who are very interested in thie scene. Maybe it is the hottest spot in music nowadays.

Thanks for your recommendations. Yesterday I listened to Seed Ensemble and Moses Boyd. I also listened to the album ā€œProcessā€ from Sampha, who is very active in some projects as singer. I noticed him firstly in ā€œEverything is Recordedā€ project. I had loads of fun yesterday, so the the voyage goes on.

After listening to the Album from Ashley Green I discovered a wonderful singer on 2 songs: Judi Jackson. I found out that she will release her new album this week (in Germany hopefully available at Friday). Her voice is fabulous.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget GoGo Penguin, from Manchester I believe

4 Likes

There are maybe 50 different artists , but all have a distinctive sound. I like: Sarah Tandy, Kamaal Williams, Alfa Mist, Tommasso Capellatto, Kaidi Tatham, Kokoroko, Tom Mish, Ruby Rushton, Nubya Garciaā€¦.but Ezra Collective, Shabata Hutchings, Moses Boyd, or Son of Kemetā€¦not really.
I discovered all these artists through Bandcamp, a great place.

2 Likes

Manchester has a thriving Jazz scene. Check out Gondwana Records and itā€™s founder and head honcho trumpeter Matthew Halsall if you like Coltrane style Spiritual Jazz. They also have both GoGo Penguin and Portico Quartet if you like your Jazz with Electronica.

5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

Wonderful guitar solo :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Nice videos, Thanks @Bobthebuilder

1 Like

Actually I am enjoying ā€žMoving Citiesā€œ from Antoine Berjeaut & Makaya McCraven. Very fresh sound and Great virtuosity. Nice one :ok_hand:

1 Like

@Bobthebuilder Snarky Puppy are a brilliant band, but they are a Texas-bred/New York-based quasi-collective from the USA. They have one keyboard player (amongst a few) - Bill Laurance who is English. However, I think they have probably been very influential on the UK scene, and I can highly recommend seeing them in concert.

1 Like