London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

@Dreadatthecontrols @frenchrooster

The All-Parliantary Parliamentary Jazz Group is a collection of 150 or so MPs and peers from all parts of the political spectrum who happen to be big jazz fans. It’s nothing to do with the government, although the Group will sometimes lobby Ministers on issues that pertain to jazz in the UK.

Mostly it’s fun and a chance for jazzers in the corridors to share their love of jazz. Pre-pandemic, the Group was well-known for the parties it held…

3 Likes

According to Wiki its treasurer is Ian Paisley! Really? :grin:

Is the Tobacco pimp Ken Clarke a member, I know he loves Jazz and I think has presented a radio show or two

1 Like

Now how about An All Party Parliamentary Reggae, Roots n Dub Appreciation Society!
:heart:

1 Like

Yep, Paisley Jr is treasurer. I think Baron Clarke of Nottingham is still a member. He likes Duke, Satch, Miles (pre-electric only), Art Pepper, Gerry Mulligan, Mingus, Coltrane… all the usual guys.

2 Likes

Become a peer or get elected as an MP and you can start one up!

1 Like

Have just booked tickets to see Lady Blackbird at the Barbican on Nov 18th as part of EFG London Jazz Festival

2 Likes

cool, this will be a nice one! :+1:

she also played in the Elbphilharmonie Hamburg on Elbjazz, but I preferred Youn Sun Nah

1 Like

New Greg Foat album on pre order, hires or double lp on Bandcamp. I like that artist.

5 Likes

Merci pour La recommandation @frenchrooster :+1:
Just enjoying his excellent album „The Dreaming Jewels“ :ok_hand:

1 Like

Very nice. I have it too. :+1:
Symphonie Pacific is the other favourite one.

1 Like

Debut album of a young UK guitarist, Emily Roberts. Album available in Qobuz.
Original album, rich and colourful.

Composer/songwriter/producer – Emily Roberts
Vocals – Alice McCarthy
Flute – Georgie Proctor
Tenor Saxophone – Harry Toulson
Guitar - Emily Roberts
Keys – Sultan Stevenson
Synths – Tim Davies
Double Bass – Rory Hudson
Drums – Dave Adsett

2 Likes

Thanks @frenchrooster hopefully a vinyl release will come out but until then I will enjoy the stream.

2 Likes

Jasmine Myra. Leeds, UK. Album: Horizon.

Produced by Matthew Halsall, Gondwana Records is delighted to announce Horizons the debut album by Leeds-based saxophonist, composer and band-leader Jasmine Myra

Jasmine Myra is a saxophonist, composer and band leader, based in Leeds. Part of the bustling, creative, cross-genre music scene in Leeds (she attended Leeds Conservatoire) Jasmine has surrounded herself with some of the best young talent in the city. Her original instrumental music has a euphoric and uplifting sound, influenced by artists as diverse as Kenny Wheeler, Bonobo, Olafur Arnalds and Moses Sumney – artists whose music shares an emotive quality that you can also hear in Myra’s compositions. Her first break came in 2018, when just one year after graduating she was selected to take part in Jazz North Introduces, a scheme that supports emerging jazz artists in the North of England. Shortly afterwards her music came to the attention of Gondwana Records boss Matthew Halsall, whose keen ear for talent helped bring the music of GoGo Penguin, Mammal Hands and Hania Rani to the wider world. Halsall explains:

4 Likes

Excellent musician I mentioned this record up thread a while back I really enjoyed the tracks I heard on youtube but held off on buying the record as they where a bit samey . Most definitely an artist to look out for in the future though extremely talented.

2 Likes

New tracks available on Bandcamp for Oscar Jerome, artist from London. I like some of them. Not really jazz, a bit rap, soul, jazzy. Inventive guy.

1 Like

Merci @frenchrooster :wink:

1 Like

Oscar Jerome is on the new Blue Note Reimagined too

2 Likes

Would you qualify him as jazz artist ?

Many of the artists we discuss on this thread do not make Jazz music in the traditional sense but there are elements of Jazz in their music and the way all of these artists collaborate and come together on side projects with each other is very Jazz like too.

2 Likes

Emily Jane Roberts - to get you to the right album on Quobus.
Only started listening now but sounds like my kind of thing.

2 Likes