Long-gone, once-had or childhood system pics

I believe there was a TDK - OD as well, it was a bias I tape but I don’t recall were it sat in the TDK hierarchy.

Yes, with the arrival of the new AD-X formulation, OD was dropped from UK market for the 1982 lineup. However, I believe it did live on in the Japan home market for a year or two more, slotting in between AD and AD-X.

1 Like

One word, “Awesome” :0)

Aged 13 listening to Tarkus, Garrard 2025TC, a pair of full range (!) very small speakers and this…

Fantastic.

1 Like

I used to love untangling tape from the player and rewinding it with a pencil…

2 Likes

It all started here, around 1960.First%20HiFi

Two turntables even then, a mono integrated amp and the speaker inside an old steam radio.
As you can see, a (vast?) library of 7in singles and one LP** started me off down this road to ruin that we call “our hobby”.

** Drumbeat from the BBC - a recording of the weekly TV show of the same name that eventually became TOTP.

2 Likes

I don’t know much about TDK casettes, I was on the Maxell side. My Nakamichi 480 loved them.

Claude

After the Duette SA400 amplifier, I bought a used Sinclair 3000 from a college friend in December 1972

Sinclair3000

I seem to recall that I gave him a fiver for it and it duly blew up after a week! I ended up sending it back to the Sinclair factory with a note asking them to repair it if it would be cheap and throw it away if it was beyond viable economic repair as I was a a student and didn’t have much spare cash. Within a couple of days a parcel arrived. inside was a brand new Sinclair 3000 amplifier with a Christmas card from the Sinclair factory. The amplifier really wasn’t very good but that was probably the best customer service I’ve ever had!

7 Likes

To accompany the Sinclair amplifier, I bought this from a second hand store in Chadwell Heath

G101

Don’t know why I ended up with a Linn Sondek LP12/Armageddon/ARO/Troika with a 52/Supercap/250. The Goldring/Sinclair combination was hard to better (LOL)

2 Likes

c8e1ce74477e6c658799bdc819463613
My Brother and I had one of these in our bedroom and I have a very vivid memory of playing Start! and it’s B side Liza Radley by The Jam over and over.

1 Like

My dad and my sister…with his first stereo.

Here is one from 1982…in the left side of the picture you can just see the A&R A60E (the Systemdek/Syrinx PU2/DV Ruby Karat is out of the field)

I played a bit of guitar back then.

Fast forward to 1998
AAAAAAHH2

4 Likes

And one more…from 1985 (I was in my mid 20’s so not strictly a child). The Source turntable, Zeta tonearm, Koetsu Black, Musical Fidelity MVT preamp/ Audio Research D70mk2 power amp and some Artisan Palantir speakers (sort of like a Tukan with dual voice coil drivers).

5 Likes

I could never quite get the hang of winding the tape back on with a pencil while driving at the same time😁

2 Likes

Well, you must have had a manual transmission then…with an automatic it was easy-peasy! :wink:

1 Like

This was my first jambox, circa 1984. Emerson is the brand, unsure of model

1 Like

Technics All-In-One CD4 system in white.

Complete with rear channel speakers and record cabinets.
I also had a Pioneer SE-305 closed cans and Teac A 350 Dolby casette deck.

2 Likes

These were the very first photos of any of my hi-fi equipment and was my second system from the mid to late 1970’s. Thorens TD160/Ortofon M15E Super Turntable & Cartridge, Pioneer SX737 Receiver, Monitor Audio MA4 Speakers on Bowers & Wilkins Stands which replaced the infamous Pioneer PL12D/Shure M75ED, Pioneer SX434 and Celestion Ditton 15 combination.

7 Likes

I inherited a Rogers Cadet 3 like the one pictured except mine had a tuner section on the left. Source was the ubiquitous Garrard SP25 and speaker were Goodmans Maximus 1.

Loved it.

Keith

5 Likes

In a little different vein, I bought an electric guitar when at university, and a friend made me an enclosure for an amp. We put one 15 inch speaker in it, and one of these. Pretty funky but it worked:

2 Likes

Before I got the mighty Amstrad tower (posted earlier) my parents had this. I’ve come a long way :slight_smile:

1 Like