Looking for alternative phono stage to Stageline N

Some of these are MC only, hardly a replacement for an N.

I posted on another thread but …… Currently I use a prefix but was able to get (what I hope) is a good deal on an open box Rega Aura, and at the same time lingo 2 to 4 and Karousel- should make quite a difference. All into a 282 hcdr/250dr and harbeth m30.1. Will take a few weeks til it all comes together

The Graham Slee Reflex M is very open and musical. It comes in under your budget, but it hits well above it’s price range. Definitely needs the PSU1 power supply.
I’m not positive, but GSP may have some even higher level phono stages that are more expensive.
Anyway, worth checking out. Great reviews.

1 Like

What 3 setups?

The Stageline’s in general get a fair bit of stick on here, but i’d not dismiss them quite so generally. Having just tried the Dynavector P75 mk4 to play alongside my LP12/Nima/DynavectorDV17D2 i actually still prefer by some margin my Stageline ‘S’ bare straight off Aux2 of my Nait. This does not help the original posters question at all, but certainly worth a mention.

3 Likes

As all require different lengths of cabling it’s not easy to test for me. Currently I’m using option 3 with the MoFi.

I see. In prinziple the phono lead should always be kept as short as possible because of the tiny signals that are put through this line. When using a MM cart limiting cable capacitance is another critical factor to comply with because this depends clearly on the lead lenght.

In contrast the signal amplified by your phono stage is significantly larger and the cable length between phono stage and preamp is not that critical, what would rank option 2 to the top when it is solely with physics.

Thanks. My main worry was the TT’s PSU then being next to it, but I guess we have to assume modern equipment has decent shielding and that shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

I’ll order some cables.

Thank you for all the advice

Why not just get a second hand HCDR and call it a day?
It will sound a lot better than powering off your 252/SC.

Have you tried a Linn Uphorik?
Its MM section was great with Adikt. Plus there is a variable setting for capacitance. ( to my surprise 175pF sounded much better )
I did not keep this phono because their MC section was wanting.

I want to try an Uphorik as soon as I find a new good offer around 1.200.
To try HCDR could be a solution but my idea is to find a good basis first, happiness without special extra power (as aEQ7 without PSX-R) and than space for further improvement - although I know the some phono amps need extra power as part of the concept.

Someone on a German forum seems to have ditched his Nagra VPS in favour of the 2030 :-/

I’ve made an inquiry with mr. Korchik, let’s see what he comes back with regarding price & options.

Pulled the plug :male_detective: :sunglasses:

1 Like

According to Andrey, the RE2030 is fully his own design. The other Ampearl models are designed by Karpov I think.

Maybe. Karpov published some of his designs on the web. About two years ago there were also schematics and documentation about a LCR design - now unfortunately gone. This design also used 6Ж9П and 6C3П-EB in signal path.

To what extent this is a stand-alone design or just a cooperation or an upgraded version, of course I cannot judge; but since the two also worked together on the smaller versions, it may quite be possible.

Agree. I can only go by what he told me, you already have more information.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.