Looking for low cost/older shelf speakers

hi all. hoping for some guidance. i am after a pair of, probably older, shelf speakers as cost is a major factor. how they look/condition unimportant. just need to be able to handle all sorts of music and be LOUD! i care for my mother as has dementia, so this is why funds are tight. all good though, i just have to be creative and do the research. example, i have a pretty decent old technics midi separates system eh600 which i found on gumtree for £50 in mint condition. perfect. i have run audio to it through a good quality optical out from tv to a fiio k5 pro dac/amp then line out to line in on the technics. now volume nicely boosted and sounds good and clean as also quality leads and upgraded 4 wire type speaker cables. for v little spend it does a decent job, but i love my music so always looking for more and i feel my neighbours really need to listen to more slayer, rush, jinjer, etc. the technics speakers are pretty decent but now struggling a bit with the added oomph i can now get out of my system. had no real idea where to start, then thought there may be some wonderfully helpful people out there with the knowledge and patience to help me. fingers crossed and thanks v much in advance if it’s you. apologies for the long post. i have done some research and believe my speakers are active crossover 4 wire, 80db, 6ohm. i believe i need 100 or more db with efficiency over 90 with horn tweeters. any ideas? gerald

1 Like

The Cerwin-Vega forum may be more helpful

1 Like

Q Acoustics

Something like this, I think I 've seen them paired with smaller Naim amplifiers in studies and on shelves

They have a sensitivity of 86db and 6 ohms , so I would suspect very happy to go with the sort of Technics you are describing. I don’t think the vey high efficiency speakers you are outlining would go that well with a Technics midi system

hi ian. they seem compatible but i am unsure if they would be as loud as what i have. i will research. cheers. g

A pair of '80s Goodmans Maxims would be my choice. They’re fun, not too revealing, so should work well with your Technics Midi system, play loud without too much strain (I have two pairs and can vouch for this), and a decent pair should cost anywhere from £10-40. They’re small too, so should fit in just fine although like most bookshelf speakers they do work best on stands.

1 Like

hi adam. thank you very much. i have had a look just now as thought £35 was a typo! your reply is exactly what i was hoping for and less cost than i thought possible. having looked at the specs compared to my 3 way speakers, they seem similar. v tough to see if likely to be better or louder, but at 35 quid could always buy from ebay to test then sell whichever set sound worst! now my task is to see if they have active crossovers as seems that is what my speakers are, and to see if/how can connect to my system

hi adam. thank you very much. i have had a look just now as thought £35 was a typo! your reply is exactly what i was hoping for and less cost than i thought possible. having looked at the specs compared to my 3 way speakers, they seem similar. v tough to see if likely to be better or louder, but at 35 quid could always buy from ebay to test then sell whichever set sound worse! now my task is to see if they have active crossovers as seems that is what my speakers are, and to see if/how can connect to my system. also mine 6 ohms and jpw’s are 8. would you have the goth girl’s number?

thanks richard. interesting.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.