Lost bass with HicapDR upgrade

Yes, I think they are hanging free. However, I haven’t tried the tip of not tightening the collar nuts. Isn’t it harmful for the inputs on the back of the devices? The cables are heavy and they will put a strain on the collar. I’ll check the power leads. They might not be fully pushed in, especially the brand new Powerline.

I think I found the rootcause…

As I mentioned I have recently added Naim PowerLine Lite cable to my SN2, however I have most probably inversed the polarity of the plug. I rotated it and now the bass seems a lot more fuller and deep. What a silly mistake… Everything seems a lot more balanced now. I will continue keeping a track on the sound in the following days. If this balance is kept for sure the polarity caused all the issues.

2 Likes

Good bit of detective work… sometimes the simplest of things can be the hardest to find! Now just a case of rebuilding everything up, keeping cables apart and letting it all settle in… and enjoy of course!

1 Like

Please explain how you inversed polarity?

I had the same thought reading that and wondered why the main circuit breaker hadn’t tripped?
The IEC C14 type AC mains input is keyed for a reason so can only assume you’ve rewired the plug for some reason which ordinarily isn’t required or indeed recommended.

I’ve always made a tight and locked connection with any SNAIC 4 or SNAIC 5 cabling given it’s carrying DC voltage and if it gets pulled or caught on something by accident could end in an expensive repair I imagine.

Perhaps one for @NeilS to comment on for an accurate conclusion.

I’d personally be inclined to advise against having any power supply related cabling running loose and have certainly never done so myself.
The DIN analogue IC is by design a loose fitting connection and pushing it in fully then back lightly on itself is ok but that’s something entirely different and not to be confused with a power supply cable connection.
Glad it had a happy if slightly worrying happy ending anyway!

1 Like

Din plug interconnects - keep them loose fitting ie don’t tighten the collars (it’s not compulsory though, just a recommendation)
Snaics etc anything connecting a power supply - keep them locked

2 Likes

Must be a modified “lite” as these are only made for the UK market and thus have 3 pin plugs.

Thank you all for the suggestion and the helpful devices! Besides my specific problem and the advice towards it I learned other helpful tips and would keep them in mind.

The bass appeared again and it is very powerful and deep! Problem solved. As a side note - I started thinking of upgrading my Chord Epic Twins with Naim NAC-A5. I am curious what the NAC can bring. Probably more relaxed and natural sounding. It’s cheaper than the Epic Twin so that’s a plus.

@khan84, @robert_h, @Mr.M

Let me explain again the root cause of my problem. I have not modified or rewired anything. What I meant is that I have put initially the fuse plug of my Powerline Lite pointing to the floor (upside down) in my mains socket. I just rotated this end of the cable pointing to the sealing (180 degrees rotation) and I had the bass back. So in the first case the polarity of the amp output might not have been properly connected with the phase of the mains socket. I’m not an engineer and I don’t know if I explained this clearly and correct but it was just a matter of rotating the direction of the fuse plug in the way it is connected to the mains outlet - nothing rewired or modified!

I think our confusion comes from the powerline lite being made for the uk so you can only fit it one way, there’s no upside down. Is there an EU model? I don’t recall 100% but thought the plugs were UK only. Does yours have a 2 pin plug?

For those of you regarding the locking collars.

[Din connections]

Agreed here, my understanding was the Lite version of the current Powerline cable supplied by Naim is made with a UK 3 pin plug only.
I’ve no knowledge of what is supplied by Naim as an equivalent in other markets today.

I think that thread basically reiterates what myself and others have said here already, that the cabling to power supplies should be locked and tight and with good reason.
An analogue IC can be tight, loose or wiggled about to personal preference without any fear of any unwanted surprises including a black box that would need to go back to Naim HQ for repair :slight_smile:

European style 2 pin plug presumably

Oh I see now. Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention I live outside UK and use UK to EU adapter which converts the 3 pints into 2 and I can switch their sides… :slight_smile:

That’s what I assumed you meant. The two pronged plug as apposed to the UK 3 pronged ones. Just hadn’t reckoned for it being via an adapter.

1 Like

As you have discovered, having the primary transformer windings in the correct phase plays an important role in sound quality.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Like yourself, i have just recently added a HiCap DR to my current system and it is a really rewarding upgrade. The whole presentation is so much cleaner and clearer without losing any of the fun that came before it. It’s great that you have now sorted it and you can enjoy your new upgrade as intended. Happy Listening.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. It’s a real uplift in the whole representation, great upgrade! I caught the upgrade bug and now am curious what NAC282 or 252 are capable of, having seen what an upgrade in the preamp section might bring … :slight_smile: Happy listening to all of you too! Thank you for the great support and help!

1 Like

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but is there a significant difference between the different generations of SNAIC and Burndy cables?

in terms of sound character.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.