Loudspeaker Cables For SN3

My real cable is with silver as well and it is far from being harsh, only to share my experience

1 Like

I am not qualified to comment from an engineering perspective, where it may have merits (and certainly happy to work around it if it sounds better) and even be called “elegant” but from a user perspective (mine for sure) this is far from elegant and convenient. The mystification and lack of clarity between Naim amp generations does not help either. I can tell you that with regards to the SN3 the 3.5m requirement is a myth!

For the customers to be left to have to figure this out on their own (yes, I know, I know - the dealer but they are not everywhere or even informed always) is not good enough

To put all Naim power amps under the same heading and not provide more clarity on the differences is not good enough - for instance how useful is this to you from my SN3 manual (? are from me!:slight_smile: )

Some (???) Naim amplifiers are designed only (???) to work with Naim loudspeaker cable and using alternatives (???) may degrade the performance or even damage the amplifier. Other (???) Naim amplifiers can be used with any high quality loudspeaker cable although (???) we recommend that Naim loudspeaker cable is used.

This in my view is not good enough

And to say that if we want simple we should use only NACA 5 or Super Lumina is not good enough either.

I have a long history with Naim and have learned what works but does it have to be this way and how about the new customer who may have not even heard about this forum (I know, hard to believe:))?

3 Likes

Is anyone any the wiser after all of this?!

1 Like

I’d like to try SuperLumina on my SN3, but i would need 5 x metres minimum :ok_man::pound:

Feel free to complain as much as you like, but you are making things very much harder for yourself if you don’t make use of a good, Naim-approved dealer.

You won’t get a better (that is, lower) price for whatever new Naim equipment that you buy, because you won’t find it below the recommended retail price.

Of course, you can look on auction sites such as eBay, but then you are very much on your own.

But you know best, no doubt.

1 Like

Which is not to say that a deal can’t be done with your dealer.

1 Like

Unfortunately, not all dealers are good. I have the choice between two local dealers, one whose sole interest is to shift as many black boxes as he can (and who will give you a ten per cent discount if that helps), and another one who’s part of a large retailing group, and who knows little about Naim.
In either case, demos are out of the question.

1 Like

My comments were about the existing guidance from the manufacturer on speaker cables, for the SN3 in particular and in general on Naim amps. Just quickly scrolling through any such thread here should tell you how useful it is for people. Apart from the slightly unnecessary personal side of your reply, do you find this guidance specific enough, clear and useful?

I had a very good interaction with a Naim dealer that I like just very recently (hm, and actually had a great deal!:)) … however, you see, they do follow manufacturer guidance! Previously I’ve been advised that I need at least 3.5m long cables for my SN3 - this is 3m longer in total than I need at £1k/m - a cable that is wonderful but thick and stiff to manage and twist&hide around, and a bit dear to buy just because of wrong guidance, don’t you think?

Please suit yourself, buy whatever cable you like - bellwire doesn’t cost much.

I wonder what advice you expect to get on a NAIM forum for suggestions for use with a NAIM system?

1 Like

Bell wire :rofl:
IMG_0784

1 Like

The mind wanders

1 Like

I agree, but it would be the competing cable manufacturer who should take responsibility for ensuring that their products are suitable if they want to appeal to Naim users.
Naim produce cables that are suitable for all of their amplifiers. Do you really think that they, as a business, should be responsible for helping their competitors to sell their cables to Naim’s customers?

2 Likes

Most, if not all, of Naim’s competitors are quite happy (and successful) in producing only components and to leave the customer to buy the cables - including interconnects - of their choice. Naim is fairly unique in its philosophy of requiring, in the past, the use of speaker cables carefully matched to meet amp impedance/capacitance needs. This is no longer the case (with some notable exceptions) and to produce electronics that could only be safely used with own-brand cables would be economic suicide. Naim do not produce ‘the best’ cables out there, any more than they make ‘the best’ electronics; no manufacturer could ever claim that. What they do provide is a range of cables well-suited to their product; to suggest that the ‘best’ possible solution can only be had with Naim cables (or boxes, for that matter) is to ignore and belittle the advice and first-hand experience of many members of this forum.

I really do not think that Naim’s information to us as their customers on this might be to instil unnecessary insecurities mainly to protect their NACA5 and SL sales from competitors? I may be naive but this would surprise me and I personally highly trust Naim in this respect. I believe there is no special hidden agenda and it’s genuinely not easy likely stemming from the long history and complexity in their amps with updates and adjustments between models and generations but I do think a better job could be done with this, especially with the latest generation models.

I think that you’ll find that this is still the current advice. See the FAQS.

Some people choose to stick with Naim cables or other manufacturers, but of similar specification. Others do not as it is still a free world.

At the end of the day, it is up to you what type of speaker cables and lengths you want to use with your system. Obviously, there may be risks associated with that, but again, that is also your choice.

Enjoy your music whatever type of cable you go for.

DG…

I agree entirely. My point is that previously it was a requirement.

Responce from dealer when I enquired if they use Naim speaker cables in store.
"We use Non-Naim or Non-Naim normally. But it’s at our risk! LOL. I understand where you’re coming from…all I can say is we have a lot of Naim owner customers that don’t use Naim cable and have not had any issues…

I put Non-Naim to protect them.

1 Like

In-Akustik speaker cables.

Who knew!

Following on from all of the above.
I had the follwing email conversation with Naim Support.
I note from the manual from my SN3 the following statement “however, a wide range of speaker cable types can

be used without risk of damage to the amplifier.”

Are there any type of loudspeaker cables that should definitely not be used with the SN3?

Thank you.

Kind Regards.

Roger

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Twisted cables add load to the amplifier, and can cause the amp to overheat, so we advise against using those. Parallel cables, with the red and black running side by side, are the best, like our NAC-A5 cable, found here: Naim Audio NAC A5 | Audio Speaker Cable

Kind regards,

Duncan

Hi.

So that I can make an informed decision what is the maximum pF per M of the cable recommended for the modern Naim amps such as the SN3?

Thank you.

Kind Regards.

Roger.

Hi Roger,

That information isn’t available.

We advise on a minimum length of 3.5 meters per side, and of non-twisted cable for maximum performance.

Kind regards,

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

Due to space constraints and loudspeaker configuration, I need 2.5M and 1M jumpers. I do not have room to form 1M loops of NAC 5 cable and I cannot afford your more expensive cable.

I appreciate we live in litigious times and Naim only want to give out standard information and not to go off the script.

It is an unfortunate sign of the times that is the line companies are taking.

Oh, how I long for the days long gone, when companies were customer centric.

Kind regards

Roger

I’d like to think that we’re still of the older order, and very much focused on providing the customer with whatever it is that they ask.

I made some enquiries, and this is what I found, I hope it’s sufficient.

Nominal NAC A5 specification is:

9 mΩ

16 pF/m

0.9 uH/m

A supernait 3 should be OK with double that capacitance, but note that you should use the same lengths on both channels.

Kind regards,

Duncan

I then had the following email conversation with Audioquest.

Good Morning Alasdair.

Do Audioquest make any loudspeaker cables that can be used with a Naim Supernait 3 amp?

I understand that Naim amps will not tolerate high capacitance cables.

I “heard” a rumour on a forum that the Rocket 88 can be “retuned” to make it suitable for use with Naim amps. Is this correct?

Thank you.
Kind regards
Roger.
Hello Roger,

Alasdair is no longer working for AudioQuest, but we’d be happy to assist you. You are correct that Naim amps are particular with the type of speaker cable used with them. We can do a special Naim audio preparation on any of our Rocket series speaker cables that will work perfectly with Naim amps.

Dustin Cairns

Hello Dustin.

Would the pF per M be less than 30pF per M?
Less than 30pF per M is the requirement of my modern Naim amp.
Thank you.
Kind regards
Roger
Hello Roger,

I checked with our senior director of engineering, he said the Naim preparation build ALWAYS works with both current and legacy Naim amplifiers. It has been tested repetitively.

Rocket 88 with Naim construction: 140pF / meter - 1.8uH / meter.

Dustin Cairns

So I purchased a 2.5M stereo pair and 1M stereo pair and have been using them for two weeks and my SN3 is perfectly happy.
The Rocket 88 are, IMHO with my ears in my room, far better than my old WH Phantoms. The noise floor is at lot lower and all the “hash” has disappeared and the presentation is natural and neutral. The top end is clear and I can turn the volume up without wincing. The bottom end is tight and fast.
I am more happy then a happy thing.

Very strange these cable stories… buy an amplifier from a reputable electronics manufacturer who knows what it takes to make his equipment perform optimally but ignore his advice.

Then buy a cable from a reputable cable manufacturer who has a different design philosophy that is not compatible with the electronics but provided a trick you can modify the design of that cable making it almost suitable.

Sounds almost like grinding the studs off your all-terrain tyres to fit them under a sports car…

2 Likes