Low volume hiss coming from speakers only when connected to Uniti Atom

Just for the record, there isn’t an ethernet connection involved in my set-up. The only wired connection to the Uniti are the speaker cables.

I guess this settles that one :joy:

1 Like

It is what it is. The fault is largely with the dealer for not educating the customer before a purchase or inquiring about the speaker type they will pair with the amp which may exacerbate the issue. If the purchase was done blind then it is simply a no-fault unfortunate discovery for the OP.

Certainly, it is as perfectly reasonable to find the issue can be ignored as it is to find it a grating annoyance. The idea that there is a “correct” position on this specific topic is absurd.

Having both Naim and non Naim amps, the lack of hiss on the non Naim amps gives them a massive advantage on a low noise floor that the Naim amps cannot match at moderate listening levels no matter how many power supplies or how far up the range you go. But the Naim amps have other charms. Pick your poison I suppose.

2 Likes

In agreement again, but would like to state that nobody in the thread said that there is a “correct” position on this topic or dismissed the OP’s slight annoyance as wrong or misplaced.

1 Like

No one else has used the words “correct” or “incorrect”. But on this thread, and the past 100 or so on the same topic over the years, there is definitely a clear faction of those who believe there is only one way to skin a cat and that way is the Naim way and others must be shown the light/error of their opinion. Versus the armchair engineer who similarly always thinks they know better than Naim’s engineers and has the engineering expertise to judge a good/bad design.

I think we’ve both been on the forum long enough to find it pretty tiring. The extremes of both sides always crop up and feel somewhat dogmatic and hostile and equally ill informed.

As I’ve been vocal on this thread I’d like to say that if it came across that I think Naim is the only way I must have articulated it badly.

I think I had misremembered, there was Onthlam who said it was poor design before going on the ethernet tangent.

As far as I am concerned, I said it is what it is, dealers should advise because with non-matching speakers it can indeed be a burden, and if somebody doesn’t like it there are other brands to choose from (but at this point was admittedly already annoyed by the poor design comment). Didn’t mean to come across as the one true way.

1 Like

Unfortunately it keeps on seeming that dealers are the weak link in the chain. They should inform potential buyers better. But then on the other side it may hit their sales if they instantly tell folk that Naim amps hiss a bit without being able to nuance it through experience.

They should ask about the speakers, attach some with at least same sensitivity, and demo

Well yes, there I absolutely agree.

But I think that many will attach well matched speakers to demonstrate the product and only if the buyer ask attach something of similar quality to what they have at home. Which creates a they will only ask if they know they have to ask loop.

To me this would seem suboptimal as well :slight_smile:

Well of course it is. And we see the result here on the forum with how many folk come here and are surprised by the answers they get.

I mean I have, what I consider, a very good dealer. The amount of effort they have gone through to make sure I am happy has been beyond anything I have ever experienced. BUT I also had to find out about Naim amp hiss when I was cleaning the one day and my head got close to the speaker and I heard it with the Star in sleep mode.

True, and I found out similarly

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.