Low volume listening woes - new house, same system

I know :wink: but thought provoking all the same. Typo now corrected. (Now not Not!)

2 Likes

I’d love a Rel G1.

1 Like

Passive crossover are often optimized for certain soundlevel ( heat will have an effect on component values). In addition low frequency room modes may have masking effects up in the midrange. Try smaller speakers (often optimized for lower levels) and try something like Linn SO (gently) that works on low frequencies and leave the midrange alone.

I’ve heard the star and nova together and I bought the nova. The star had a more upfront lively sound with less bass drive than the nova, which is darker and more refined with better bass. Like the difference between nait xs series and supernait.

1 Like

This comment interests me. Do you think that this is due to the amp being altered in its frequency response or that what you hear is the result of the increase in power managing to better drive the speakers?

1 Like

Hard to say I think it’s down to the bigger transformer and there is more space in the nova without the cd drive ,but there is a clear difference.

1 Like

To the best of my recollection Naim claim virtually the same frequency response across the whole range of amps, to all intents and purposes flat across the full range of human hearing (in common with virtually all hifi amps). Interestingly, however, I frequently read people’s claims that their new higher range model gives deeper bass than the previous

Yes, I was a sceptic but it is true. Its not just the clarity that gets better, it is the increase it brings in my awareness of all frequencies. I have the old kit to compare so I don’t think its just buyer bias.

I wonder if the increase in power just leads cleaner less distorted bass giving the illusion of the speakers going deeper. I’d assume that realistically most speakers will be delivering their full frequency response even with something like a nait xs. Then again, maybe if a speaker is harder to drive, it might roll of in the low end sooner with less watts??

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.